removing windows cached credentials

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Limp_Brisket, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

i'm much better with linux users and groups and this windows network share stuff is pissing me off.

we have a server here with a network share that everyone at work uses. the problem is some folders are only accessible by some people and on my boss' computer someone logged on with their personal credentials instead of my boss' credentials so now on my boss' computer he doesn't have access to his files on the network share. i've tried everything i can think of to get rid of the cached credentials but nothing is working.

i tried remapping a network drive to the share using the "connect as another user" option but it just gives an error saying that share is already mapped. so first i did "net use" and saw the share, did "net use * /delete" and it's gone, try again and it still says i have a share mapped. tried using the disconnect network shares but it says i have none.

i've rebooted. nothing, it still remembers the wrong credentials. i've deleted his net session on the server, but it just recreates it with the wrong credentials as soon as he gets back on. i've gone to [user accounts -> manage network passswords] but the list is empty (however if i do that on my vista machine it shows the servers share and all the right options, my boss has XP though).

anyone else have any ideas what i can do? this is ridiculous.

2. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

nothing huh

3. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Anything here?

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

4. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

that just pops up the same window that you get from user accounts, manage network passwords. at least it did in my vista.

my boss says it prompted him today for his username and password and so the problem is averted for now. although it'd be nice to know how to remove or change cached credentials for the future. windows is such a pain when it comes to permissions and security.

5. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Are you running active directory?

Did you set the permissions in the share permissions or under security for the folder?

6. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

the permissions are set correctly, that's not the problem. the problem was that he was logged in as the wrong person and there was no way to change users.

7. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

I don't understand

8. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

when you log into a network share windows caches your credentials to auto-log you in the next time you access the share. someone logged my boss in under the wrong credentials so now it 'remembers' him as being this other person.

it finally reset and re-asked him for his credentials today. i don't know if it had something to do with all the tomfoolery i did to his computer.

9. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Use "net use * /d" command to delete all mapping drives. Then use "net use \\servername password /u:domainname\username" to cache the credentials. Relogon.

Try that brotato

10. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

lol, thanks for the effort, but i said that i already did all that in the original post.

11. FusionZ06

FusionZ06 /\__/\__/\__0>

Is there a local or group policy script or login script that is mapping these drives?

12. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

nope