Removing Water Spots/Cleaning Side View Mirrors

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 330R, Sep 9, 2002.

1. 330R

330R New Member

I have water spots on my side view mirrors. I don't want to scratch the surface trying to clean them. I'm not sure what to use since they're plastic. It's not the same as cleaning a windshield, so i doubt even then the softest steel wool could be used.

Any tips? Scottwax? Thanks :)

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

You'll have to be more specific. Water spots on the painted part or the actual mirror?

Either way, just wash the car again or use Meguiar's Quick Detailer to remove them. It's just mineral deposits, it'll come off.

3. 330R

330R New Member

thanks for the reply. to be more concise, i am referring to the mirrors themselves. i have tried water, and i have tried 20/20 glass cleaner, but the spots are still on the mirrors. this most recent attempt, however, was at night in the garage. maybe i need to apply a little more elbow grease when its warm and the sun's out.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Hmm... a little more difficult, since they won't come off. I know Clay Magic clay bar removed shit from my window that I never knew was there, give that a try. Use it the same way you'd use it on paint. Just be sure to use the 20/20 afterwards to remove the lube.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Try some paint polish like EMT said. Usually that is enough to break the spots loose. You may want to presoak the mirrors with some vinegar.