Removing touch up paint?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Mofolicious, Apr 23, 2008.

1. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

Bought a new vehicle. I saw a blemish that I was sure I could buff out, but when I got it home and went for a second look, I realized some asshat at the dealership put touchup paint over it. How can I get it off without damaging the finish?

Someone suggested claybar, someone else suggested thinner... Not sure if I want to try the thinner. Will probably try the clay bar tomorrow.

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Wetsand it down.

3. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

yep.

4. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

Really really worried about going through the clear as well if I do that. What grit do your recommend? I have everything up to 3000 kicking around from my aluminum polishing days...

If I were to use a solid block (piece of 2x4 maybe? :dunno:) instead of a sanding sponge do I have a better chance of not oversanding? What are the chances of going through the clear at all?

5. MartyFukstein

MartyFukstein OT Supporter

2000 wet should be fine. You'd have to be really stupid to sand through the clear.

Just sand until the touchup is gone, then buff out with compound and you'll be golden.

6. Mofolicious

Mofolicious New Member

OK, I'm just waiting for some good weather so I can do this.

I've never detailed a car as extensively as I plan on doing this thing. My previous cars have been white, except for my truck that is too dinged up to give a shit about.

So I plan on washing it, sanding the paint off, and using a swirl remover on it with a cloth pad on my buffer. Then clay bar it and use turtle wax ice polish on it. :dunno:

I know there are a lot better products out there, but I figured this would be good enough. Does this sound like a good plan for a four year old black vehicle with swirl marks? :hs: