Removing sticker.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Jackhole, Jul 2, 2002.

1. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

When I bought my car, the dealer put this little sticker on the back of my trunk with the dealer's name on it. I'd like to take it off without damaging the paint.

How can I get it off without scratching the paint (ie. razorblade) and once it's off, how can I remove the sticky residue?

2. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

use goo gone to get the residue off.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Use a heat gun or a blow dryer to heat the area, then work a long thread of dental floss in behind the emblem (or sticker) as close to the paint as you can and once the adhesive is hot enough, the floss should slice right through. I've debadged an Acura RSX Type S and a CL Type S this way with great success. Goo Gone or polish should remove the excess residue. Make sure you wax the entire area afterwards.

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Heat gun comes out tomorrow. :bigthumb: I'll let you know how it works out.

5. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Hey, it worked great. Heat took it off, there wasn't even any residue to remove. Now that that's gone, and the license plate holder, my car is advertisement-free!

6. Scottwax

Isn't that nice how the dealership wants you to advertise for them for free?

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Exactly! My Dad just bought a TrailBlazer, and he told them he didn't want the sticker on the back tailgate, they wouldn't sell it to him. He had to go to a different dealer!!! (incidentally, he ended up getting it cheaper there.)

8. nordaim

nordaim Guest

If you have a good salesman, often times they will take any requests for you in regards to that. I asked my salesman to have the badges and dealer decal removed before I picked up the car, he agreed, and when I got it, it was all removed.

For other stickers/decals et cetera, I have used a product called 'Decal begone' or something like that, available at most auto parts stores. It is an spray can. Spray on, wait, peel off. Clean up with more cleaner and a soft cloth.

9. vudoodoodoo

vudoodoodoo Guest

That's pretty :greddy:
    Here, it's by law that the dealer has to remove the stickers and whatnot from your car. They put it on your car, they take it off.
    I used to sell the car and have no problems w/ taking the stuff off for the customers. I hate having that stuff on my car too.

10. luvthong

luvthong Guest

So, can I use the same method to remove those "powered by XXX" stickers on my car? what is a heat gun? how much is it???

11. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

A heat gun is like a professional-duty hair dryer almost. You need to be careful when using one, especially around the end that blows the heat from, most times it's metal and VERY hot. Honestly, I used my Dad's heat gun, so I'm not sure how much it was.

12. We_Todd

We_Todd I'm a naughty squirrel.

if they are just vinyl decals... then peel away. Just remove the adhesive left behind with wd-40, de-solv-it, or simple green concentrate.

13. KingJeff

KingJeff New Member

well when i used wd 40 on my bumper, it removed some of the paint. my paint dulled out where i used the wd 40.

14. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

DO NOT USE WD-40, DE-SOLV-IT OR SIMPLE GREEN on your paint. These are degreasers and if left on too long, will literally remove your paint. Use Goo-Gone or Skin-So-Soft to remove any adhesives on paint or glass.

Besides, if you use a heat gun like originally suggested, there will be no adhesive left to remove.

15. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

will goo-gone remove the residue left from a sticker? I had one on my motorcycle, took the face of the sticker off already, but have the goo left.

16. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

read closer

17. XT

XT Guest

I remeber a few years back at Darien lake theme park (now six flags darien lake) was putting bumper stickers, sometimes 2 or 3 of them, on peoples cars without their knowledge. They did this for a bout 2 weeks before getting sued because somebodys paint came right off their bumper when they tried pulling the stickers off. EMTfirefighter might remember this.....

18. spyder007

spyder007 Bаnned bу Ѕuреr Μоdеrаtоrs

How about you read closer, the sticker is already gone, just the residue left, nothing to 'slice' off with floss. :slap:

19. 426Hemi

426Hemi Guest

I got lucky with my Impala, I managed to get one that they hadn't put their crap on it yet. Only thing they had was the license plate frame, which was gone easy enough.

20. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I don't remember that... Darien Lake itself was putting bumper stickers on people's cars? :eek: I would have flipped out!

21. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Know anyone who's in Avon that you can get some Skin-So-Soft from? That shit works great, gentle on paint, too. Obviously, you'll have to re-wax the area after removing the goo, though.

22. Scottwax

:slap:

NoXeN was right. Read closer! :rofl:

23. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

dumbass

i can tell you dont work a desk job :fawk: