Removing rust??

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 8BaLL, Apr 18, 2006.

1. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

How would i go about cleaning this shit up? My wheel hubs look pretty bad and i want to clean up my differential cover :hs:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

Wire wheel on a decent drill to take off the surface rust. Then some wet steel wool. You're gonna want to paint it next. I've actually used black bbq grill paint. Resists heat and believe it or not, will not run, dries fast and looks better than any Krylon.

Justin

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Its unfortuante, but the reality is, you are going to get alot of rust down there in FL. Simply because of the high humidity, coupled witht eh high salt conent in that moisture.

What Justin Recemended is probibly your best route. Wire wheel, and steel wool. Just remember to wear a face sheild and gloves if your going to do it. Dont want you loosing an eye, or niercing your cheek, or lip with a wire bristle.

The BBQ paint is good for the rear diff, and axel. But im not so sure about your brake disk hats. For the calipers, you can wire wheel those, disasemble them, and paint them with oven/bbq paint, preferable in a gun metal grey color, or somthing close to stock to reduce attention, and rice factor. As for the actual rotors themselves. You should see what rotors have the highest nickel content, or are straight stainless steel. Typically, msot brake shops in an area like yours (high humidity, sea water, etc.) will have a preaty good selection of non-corosive, or as close as possible to non-corosive, parts avliable. More then likely you will have to go to somthing aftermarket. Again, look for a good solid rotor, to keep away from rice factor.

4. justin30513

justin30513 New Member

They do make enamel caliper paint kits. Check import ricer stores.

Justin

5. 8BaLL

8BaLL New Member

thanks