removing painted "IROC"

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by trd51398, Mar 5, 2002.

1. trd51398

trd51398 who me?

I bought an 88 Iroc,, that was repainted,, and who ever did it,,,, never got a sticker to put on the car,, instead he painted the Irocz on the car,, and I hate the way it looks,, i wanna take it off. Is there anything I can do myself to try to take it off withouth destroying the rest of the paint. It appears that the "IROCZ" was hand painted on with a brush or something,,,,,

2. bmf

bmf Guest

Provided there is enough paint underneath the hand painted logo, color sanding will remove the lettering. It's a job prolly best left to pros as it takes a delicate touch. But essentially you are removing a top layer of paint from another painted surface, so that leaves out chemical strippers.

If it were me I'd start with 1000 grit wet/dry sandpaper and carefully go at it. Then I'd follow up with 1500 grit then buff it out. But I'd only do that if the doors had enough paint on them.

3. trd51398

trd51398 who me?

thanks for the info... just might leave it,, I really don't wanna repaint the car

4. bmf

bmf Guest

Well, you shouldn't have to repaint the car, just the lower portions of the doors if the paint under the lettering is removed by sanding. When a car is repainted sometimes the lower portions do not get as much paint applied as the upper portions like the hood, roof, etc. The real reason for that is poor paint application - a top quality painter will alter his application technique to make sure the lower portions get adequate paint coverage.

It may turn out that you're car is fine but I didn't want to post that initially, better to be safe than sorry.

It may be something worth exploring further if you're still interested. There are devices that can accurately measure paint thickness. Find a body shop that has one and have someone experienced measure the paint thickness of the lower door area. He should also be able to tell you whether it's safe to color sand the lettering without damaging the paint underneath.

Sorry for the long post. Just thought I should explain in a bit more detail.