Removing house paint from a finish?

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by C5Load, Jun 4, 2005.

1. C5Load

C5Load OT Resident UCLA fanatic

1 month old scion. Noticed that there are a few splotches of white house paint on the silver finish. Must have happened when I was driving. Any ideas on how to remove it without damaging the finish? won't come off with a fingernail.

2. n2_space

n2_space Space > *.*

I removed some paint that I believe was house paint before on a car, had to use a pretty agressive polish on it (1z UP) and a cutting pad, with the PC on 6 and giving some good pressure. Followed up with #80 on an orange pad to remove the hazing left behind form 1z UP.

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If they are tiny dots, claying will work. Blobs will respond to n2_space's suggestion.

4. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

If it was Latex paint and little spots... park it in the sun... let it warm up and you should be able to pick them off with your finger nail... Worked for me anyway :dunno:

5. Be careful. Scion is known for it's thin coats of paint. I was rubbing some bug guts off my front bumper cover ('05 xB) with one of those sponges covered with netting and it left bad swirl marks. While installing the roof rack, one of the plastic covered hooks drug lightly across the roof and scratched the paint. I have a feeling I'll be getting it repainted in 2-3 years.