Removing battery from MacBook Pro when fully charged?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ghostrider4450, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

Does anyone else remove their battery when its fully charged and you are just sitting with the computer plugged in? I ask because I feel like sitting with the batt fully charged and plugged in will reduce the life of the battery.

2. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

Can't say I've ever done that. I don't think it reduces battery life? My understanding is that when the battery is fully charged and the computer is plugged in, the computer just runs on the plug anyway...

3. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

4. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No need to remove it as they battery life isn't diminished by removing it. Don't worry. That's not something computer makers would allow to continue happening if that was the case and would have been taken care of a long time ago. Only remove it if you are storing the machine for an extended period of time (weeks to months).

5. Ghostrider4450

Ghostrider4450 New Member

I didnt say that removing it would diminish the battery life. I was implying that it would extend the life of the battery. I would imagine that sitting with the battery fully charged in the computer for long periods would slowly reduce the maximum mAh capacity of the battery.

6. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

No it should not hurt the battery at all or diminish the battery life.

7. mojito

mojito New Member

i'd be weary of damage to the internals with the battery out

8. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Good point. In most laptops the laptop runs off the battery while the charger restores the power being pulled from the battery while plugged in. That way it doesn't have to switch over from AC to battery when you unplug it which would cause a momentary drop in power and power the machine off.