removing bad swirl marks without damaging the clear coat..

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by J-Passport, Dec 26, 2003.

1. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

well guys I have a real problem.. my paint looks aweful! I bought my car used.. and man was the paint abused. I've browsed this forum on a regular basis to see what I can do to fix my paint right up.. and I've come up with a plan to do the job. Here goes..

1. I am going to strip my paint of old wax and impurities using a clay bar(never done this before)
    2. then attempt to use a swirl remover like meguiars # 9(help!! I've read about buying different #'s of swirl removers.. and then work from the bigger cut to the smaller cut.. this is a little confusing for me. When I goto my local auto store.. they only have one kind've swirl remover.. where would I be able to purchase varying "cuts" of swirl removers. Also, does swirl remover damage the clear coat? This really bothers me.
    3. then use the cleanser s100(just bought some and gave it a shot.. seems like good stuff from what I've seen on this forum)
    4. then the wax s100(tried this out too.. good stuff)
    5. Zaino Polish(anyone have any recomendations on what exactly I should be buying from them? I've never used their products..)

well this was my logic
    1. strip paint of impurities
    2. remove swirls
    3. cleanser/prewax
    4. wax
    5. polish
    :x: :)
    I think this will be enough to get rid of my swirls.. Im a little affraid of the swirl removers.. I've never used them. I dont want to damage my paint any more then it has already been abused by previous owner. It looks like she used a dirty orbital buffer on my car and ruined it.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/highrpmaccord
    ;)
    theres some pictures of my car.. im installing a lip kit soon so I wanted to get the paint looking pristine when the weather warms up. Can anyone help me with my questions about swirl removers, or if my process of making my paint isnt good... or could be better.

Also if anyone has access to any professional products I could use on my paint and can sell to me would be helpful. I see alot of different chemicals/waxes used on this forum that I dont know much about.

Also any tips about how these products should be applied and removed would be helpful. Im a newbie at car detailing. :hs:

I would appreciate any help with this. Thanks. -Jai :wiggle:

2. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

okay furthering my little research..I came across these two compounds.. seen them mentioned here on this forum before.. should I just try and use these compounds.. then seal with wax?? hmmmm im still trying to figure out the best way to fix up my paint w/o damaging the clear coat.

Meguiar's #82 SFP
    Body Shop Professional Swirl Free Polish

Meguiar's #83 DACP
    Dual Action Cleaner/Polish

Dont know much about these yet.. but they're looking good. I just dont want to damage my paint. -Jai

3. quamen

quamen New Member

Okay well you most likely know, but in the first post you wrote wax and then polish. Polish comes before the wax. Yes it is hard to figure out what exactly needs to be done (in terms of what chemicals to use to get rid of the swirls without trial and error). So what i suggest is start from the least aggresive to the most aggressive.

I think a good combination would be this. Meguairs DACP followed by Meguairs Swirl Free polish. then some Clearkote's Vanialla Mosse followed by Some Clearkotes Carnuaba Moose Wax.

When i would detail a car I would look at certain aspects of the vehicle first. It usually appears that the hood and the back end usually has the most swirls, while the side panels (doors, fenders etc have less).

Try to do a small section and see how the comination of products work. Not all the to the wax stage but just the DACP And the SFP. If swirls are still there, you need to start with something different.

Hope I helped some. Also make sure when ur applying the product, use a different towel for each one, only use a little product per section, fold the towel, and work the product till nearly dry and clear. Follow the instruction as well.

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Basically what quamen said. You definitely would not use Zaino on top of S100, it won't work. You'd have to first remove all swirls, etc, then Dawn wash the car to strip any oils off then go through the Zaino process. It has a real shiny look, but kind of a PITA the first time you use it. If you want any easier synthetic/polymer system, either Klasse AIO and SG or Poorboy's Polish w/Carnauba and EX Sealant are the way to go.

5. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

okay so I am gonna try and make sence of this the best that I can..

Step 1: should I just skip clay barring my car all together? or should I do that as well as wash my car with dawn?

Step 2: Use DACP(any tips in application, since this could be labelled as "abrasive")

Step 3: Use SFP

Step 4: Zaino? or does using the SFP already cover the whole polishing step?

Step 5: Either use my s100 cleanser and paste wax that I bought, or use what you guys recomended above.. the clearkote, klasse or poorboys. Which is better? Or can I just stick with s100 to save a little $? Which one will give me a nice deep wet look after removing the swirls.

Some of the swirls I have on the side panels are machined in, previous owner had dealer detail the car before I bought it. :( The swirls on the hood and trunk arent that bad at all.

Okay so I am assuming I use regular applicator pads to apply these products.. and terry cloth to get them out? should I try any of the "diaper soft towels" or linen towels made by turtle wax company? Should I wash and dry the terry cloth towels once before I use them since I will be buying them new? Thanks for the help. -Jai

6. quamen

quamen New Member

u need to clay bar the car. do not use the dawn wash, he was saying if you decided to go with the Zanio use the dawn wash, but i would just avoid it at all costs. To time consuming and u can get good resullts from the other stuff mentioned. the best kind of towel to use is the microfiber towls. They will not scratch and all. Scottwax has mentioned this in his threads and folds them i believe in 1/8s for the proper application. You can use the applicator to apply and the micro to wipe off. just use one towel for each product and i like to mark my towels or keep them in seperate bins and wash seperate in order to not contaminate each other.

Forget Zanio. DACP polish tells u how to apply it right on the bottle. Small amount rub it in until clear and dry. Then remove I believe this is what it says. Havent used it cause it is cold as hell out!

s100 is fine for the wax. That is going to give u protection, but not remove those swirls that is not what a wax does. So i would do as i suggested in the above thread.
    Or what scottwax said about the final process. But first u have to concerntrate on the swirls. once you find a small section and remove them then ull be fine. just repeat the whole car. Whatever way you go on the polish and wax my way, or scotts, your car will turn out great

Focus on the getting those imperfections out.

7. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

okay so final correction to my plan

Step 1: clay bar

Step 2: Use DACP(follow directions for application an removing on bottle)

Step 3: Use SFP(swirls should be removed after this step)

Step 4: Use s100 cleanser and paste wax

Step 5: come back and post pictures when all this is done when the weather warms up..

sound good?

thanks too both of you fellas, sorry if you had to repeat anything you've posted a million times already. I appreciate the help. Thanks much. -Jai

8. quamen

quamen New Member

u got it that time!

9. J-Passport

J-Passport OT Supporter

wow thanks!! Im so glad its alot easiar then I made it out to be.. my swirls are so bad.. I cant wait to get rid of them. My rides gonna look so fresh this spring. -Jai :)