removing and preventing swirls...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Guest, Nov 6, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

what is the best way to remove swirls from a black car??? And how do I prevent the swirls??

2. Guido The Penguin

Guido The Penguin Hi, I'm here for the gang bang.

Prevention is easy, whenever you wash the car, dont use a brush or heavy cloth. Use only soft towels, or be a baby like me, and use those real soft beach towels to wash it. Also, whenever you get dirt on it, dont wipe it off with your hand, use a soft towel or one of the soft 'car brushes'

Notice the term 'soft' comes up alot. Big key

For removal, I use the 3M Swirl Remover. Its best to get a buffer and the correct pads to use since it does take a bit of elbow grease, but the results are great.

3. mike1

mike1 Dance Bish

4. Guest

Guest Guest

I'd also recommend the 3M swirl mark remover. Thats the only one I've used so far though, but it works great.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Meguiars Swirl Free Polish (Body Shop Pro line) or Swirl Remover 2.0 (Mirror Glaze line) are also top notch. Make sure when you use a swirl remover, you use a back and forth motion, not a circular motion, and work the product into the paint until it looks nearly clear and dry.

When you dry your car, make sure you use two towels. One to remove most of the water, and one for the final dry. Leave a slight bit of water on the paint for the drying towel, so you don't get streaks from using a completely dry towel.

6. Fryd_Up

Fryd_Up Guest

a few months ago I made the rookie mistake of going over my whole car w/ rubbing compound :o. I emailed 3m to get their advise on the matter. My car is goin on 8 years old and black paint. that sh*t swirled it pretty bad (used a buffer w/ the compound), I regret it. But I did sortof fix the problem and the car does have one hell of a shine, still alittle swirled though :(. Next time I have to re-detail it I'm going over it twice with the 3m swirl remover and the machine glaze. I got other instructions since it took 3m a week in a half to get back to me so I ended up buffing w/ the swirl remover, then 2 coats of hand glace and 2 coats of wax (both by hand).

this is what 3m told me about the swirls. You could also use their swirl remover too, it wouldn't hurt I think.

Use the 3M Perfect-it lll Machine glaze #5937 with a 3M foam pad #5725 this is the step where you take care of the swirls and other imperfections in the finish. Now it is important that this is done correctly and what I mean by that is apply a small amount of the glaze to the surface of the car using a buffer set at 1800 rpm. Begin your buffing process by applying pressure on the buffer and go over one small area at a time ( 3ft by 3ft) once you have noticed the swirls disappearing then lighted up on the buffer and gently glide over the surface. Once you have completed this then stop and wipe the remaining residue off with a scratch free cloth #6016.