Removing Active Directory/Demoting

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DigiCrime, Oct 7, 2009.

1. DigiCrime

DigiCrime If Only!

Still struggling over this constant mapped drive disconnection issue I've decided to remove AC/DC and leave it as a file server and remote desktop role only. To many variables in this to figure out what the hell is wrong and having AC is overkill for this particular setup. How much of a headache would this be though? After removing active directory the user data will still be there but I'm guessing I have to re-create everyones stuff again like setup outlook and import their pst files, detach work stations from the domain. Put everyone in the remote desktop group so they can remote in, what else am I missing?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

I would add a 2nd server (or even workstation), add the AD, join it to the network, then demote the failing server, let it propogate, format it, rejoin the network, add AD, demote 2nd server.

Retains the AD and allows you to start fresh on the new box.

Don't give up on AD - you'll have even more issues in "Workgroup" mode - at least in AD, everyone knows who the boss is - in WG mode, they're constantly having elections and then there's hanging chads, president brother's and old people in Florida getting in the way of democracy.

What was I talking about?