Removing a wireless network

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Cmndr. WRX>MUSTANG, Dec 29, 2002.

1. I got a wireless network between a mac and a PC.
    How can I stop the internet going to the mac, but still have it going to the PC.
    The basestation is located at the PC. I want to keep all the same hardware.
    Im talking about software changes.
    K thanks.
    If it helps I have "netgear"

2. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

So you have a cable or DSL modem, a router/access point, and two computers with wifi cards? And you don't want the MAC to get on the Internet? I guess the easiest thing would be to manually configure TCP/IP on the MAC and just don't enter a default gateway or DNS server addresses. Not sure if the MAC's TCP/IP stack will let you configure it with that info missing, but I know it works on a PC. This would still let you network locally, assuming you have software that lets the MAC and PC talk to eachother.

3. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

You can always throw the folder away that has the internet browser. IE is a simple Drag and drop install so all you would have to do is save it to CD first. This is what I do at my job when a teacher does not want students to have internet access.

4. Well, its the one with no crap to install just plug it in somewhere, but u dont got to uncscrew the case.
    Can you explain more turbo?

5. TurboDerek

TurboDerek My favorite meal is horsemeat and rice.

If your are in OS9 go to
    Macintosh HD - Applications
    In the Applications folder you will see a folder that says Internet Explorer
    You have 2 choices drag the Internet Explorer folder to the trash then empty the trash or hide the Internet Explorer folder in a different location. Can you explain why you don't want internet access on the Mac?

6. Kabuko

Kabuko Guest

If you have a decent router, you could probably filter the traffic to or from the Mac too.