GUN Removing a S&W internal lock

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Soybomb, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Saw this video posted on arf, its actually good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVPYgohVCNM

I pulled the internal lock from my 642 really quickly with it, and cleaned and regreased it while I was in there. It would be a good time to put in a reduced power rebound spring if you want to as well.

2. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Dumb question: What exactly is the point of removing the lock? Does it give you a better trigger pull?

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Very rarely they activate on their own leaving you with a locked gun you think is unlocked.

4. I've read on the S&W forums that it's possible that the little lock cylinder and cam can come loose in the gun. I don't know if it's a real problem, or just a rumor. The most failsafe way to disable the lock is to remove the flag, grind off that little nub, and then put the flag back in. The only problem then is if you ever have to send it back to S&W they'll know you modified it.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'd trust most of the posters at s&w forums over myself but from what I saw while I was in there, it looks like the hammer would keep the cylinder from backing out....don't know if thats true or not.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I poked around on the S&W forums some and wasn't sure what to believe. Their search sucks. I figured I might as well play it safe and just grind off the tab and reinstall it. Quick and easy to do.

7. That's what I plan to do. I'll deal with warranty issues if that time ever comes.

8. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I think i've heard stories from people that have sent in modified guns for repair and they just come back with a new lock fitted :rofl: which seems like what I'd expect from S&W customer service.

9. RRTX

RRTX New Member

If you send in a firearm for warranty service they are going to return it to it's factory configuration in most instances (minus sights and such) which is why you generally don't send in modified stuff for warranty. S&W has some of the best customer service in the business when it comes to warranty work. They sure aren't going to return something with internal parts removed and take any chance of bringing liability on themselves.