removing 2003 corolla stereo

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vietkangta, Jan 20, 2006.

1. vietkangta

vietkangta New Member

does anyone know how to remove a 2003+ corolla's stereo , we got stuck at the part where theres a screw behind the ac knob.

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

vvt-i.net should be able to help you out, just leave them a message

3. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

1: Pry up the panel around the shifter (you can do it with your fingers probably...pull from the rear of the car up, and then it comes off). Either disconnect the lighter or let it hang (later is easier)

2: Remove center knob, remove screw. Remove screws at bottom of stack under what you just pulled...check for other screws (I think that's all of them).

3: (Tricky part) Pull center stack out. There's no great way to do this. You have to pull pretty hard to get the clips out (they're at the upper left and right). Do NOT pull from the door or flip out tray....pull from somewhere else, pry with something at the top, etc. If you pull from the doors, you'll break them.

4. Disconnect wires going to panel, put it somewhere. Behind it are the screws holding in the stereo...thing. The deck and the two center vents are all in this piece...it all comes out as one. There are 4 (IIRC) screws holding it in...all are easy to get at (straight in).

5. Pull it.

:x:

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

good call, i forgot about the shifter trim ring. IIRC, that's everything to it. I remeber when those came out and I had to work on the first one in our shop. it suxd

5. eighteen_psi

eighteen_psi Active Member

:squint: My 04 was probably the easiest install I've ever done, and I've done more than a few.

:coolugh:

The dash has LOADS of room to work, TONS of places to stuff crap (I actually have my boston pro 6.5 crossovers in the center stack to ease wiring...they fit with ease)....up behind the climate control panel.