Removed Door Ding Guards, but the side has been repainted!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Original, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Original

Original OT Supporter

Alright so I tried doing something to clean up the car.. but ended up regretting it.

The previous owner said he only repainted the front fender, not the whole left side :squint:

But here's what I'm left with:
    [​IMG]

That side turned out good, now for the other side:

[​IMG]

Nice racing stripes eh? Is there any way to smooth out the clear coat around the edges? The color is very close. Am I better off getting it repainted? And will I have to get the entire door repainted or can I just get that middle section?? (I don't know what bodyshops can do)

Any help is appreciated :hs:

2. XPX

XPX New Member

are you sure it has been repainted?
    maybe the paint under the ding guards was less exposed to sun and other elements and that's why it has another shade of red...:dunno:

3. Original

Original OT Supporter

Well I can see where the new clear ends, a big line all the way around and there was a little overspray on the advesive after I peeled that whole strip off. Plus the paint under the trim looks real nice, while I can see orange peel on the rest of the doors. I always wondered why my doors on the left side had orange peel, crappy repaint :o

I've already tried buffing and waxing and that made the other side look sweet but did nothing for the left side.

I'm out of ideas, could I sand down the newer clearcote? I might just try and prep everything myself and just get it all repainted :dunno:

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Without a paint thickness guage, I'd stay away from wetsanding it out, except to prep it for a repaint.

5. Priest Tango

Priest Tango Custom User Tits

crappy detail boy at the body shop :o