remote start on a new car bad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Darkcloud, Feb 28, 2004.

1. Darkcloud

Darkcloud mesohorny

i was shopping around for a new alarm for a brand new car and the guy recommended me NOT to get the remote start for fear that if something goes wrong with the engine the warranty on my car wont cover it since its been tampered with. can a remote start ruin a engine? i didnt really need the remote start anyway, but thought it would be nice to have so i dont have to go outside and warm it up every morning (i know im lazy) :o

2. niknok2027

niknok2027 New Member

I don't think it will void your warranty unless you drive a Mercedes which they have fiber optics on almost all their wirings. I got my remote start a week after I bought my car and the dealer even saw that and they didn't made ant comments about warranty.Remote starter basically just runs the engine for a few mins (5,10, or 15 whichever you program it). If you're not sure, ask the dealer where you bought your car.

3. Scott P

Scott P I are lurking through. . .

if it voids the warranty then that would be the first I Have ever heard of it doing so. I have installed over a hundred of these things and the only thing in the engine it uses is a splice onto one of the tach wires (usually on an injector), other than that it runs the car at it's usual idle for whatever time you designate it to run. no different than if you were to sit with the car running in a parking space talking on the phone or whatever.

on a side note, i know of several installers around town here (Memphis) that won't touch my car (99 TL) for fear of what a remote start may or may not do, even though i know it can't do any harm. Just talk to a a couple of stores that you feal safe working with and I bet you will end up finding an installer willing and able to do an alarm/remote start for you.

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Are you annoyed? You will be.

It's not that it will harm the car (it won't), just that IF something goes wrong then they go :squint: it's been messed with.

5. ixlr8

ixlr8 New Member

Dealer say that it will void the warranty so they can install one for you and charge about five times the price.

6. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

It all depends on how the relationships are with your dealers/retail places. I know a lot of areas where dealers will tell the customer that the warranty is void if something goes bad anywhere in the car.

Now obviously, if the remote starter fucked up and sent a crank signal, and it kept sending that signal to the piont where teh starter burned up, it would be up to you to pay for the repair. But a lot of dealerships will see any other kind of wiring under there and automatically blame it on that unit.

In our area, we are known for doing pretty good work when it comes to remote starts/alarms, and we only install quality stuff. Most dealerships around here will ask the customer who installed the remote start/alarm, and if the customer tells them it was my company, the usually dont think twice about it. If there is any argument about who is at fault, the dealership will bring the car over, or we'll head out to the dealership to take a look. :dunno: Around here, we work pretty closely with dealers. Not all of them are bad. :cool: