Remote Start/Alarms: Crimestopper/Audiovox/Avital/Ungo/DEI???

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TommyBoiSxty9, Oct 2, 2002.

1. TommyBoiSxty9

TommyBoiSxty9 here, but I'm really gone

So when getting a remote starter alarm - any compelling reason to stick with OR stay away from the following:

Crimestopper CS-2006FM
    Crimestopper CS-2015FM
    (both have 2-way remotes)

Avital 3300

Ungo MS2007 (one car audio place said he wouldn't say they were junk but...?)

Clifford Matrix RSIII (aka Responder?)
    Viper Responder (same as above?) their websites give conflicting info - Clifford has a manual for the RSIII showing an LCD remote, but a link for a Responder. I called one place and they had the Clifford "Responder" - so I think it's just named twice.

Audiovox APS975 (LCD model)

One shop I called told me all alarms with LCD remotes are illegal right now except for Viper. Is this true? Do I give a damn?

At any rate - any brands to stay away from?
    Do/Don't go w/ LCD ones? - I like the idea of being able to tell if my cars running from inside work without having to go to the doors (no windows in work)

Lastly, I have a 2000 Acura TL which features the Chip in the key security thing.

Like the one car audio place said, we DONT want to bypass it, rather put a key in the system to send the signal when it receives the command to start and only then. Thus this security feature is still in tact.

I saw before a programmable "box" type thing that would store your key code without having to actually lose a key to the system (it was cheaper too - about $50 vs. $100 for a new key from the dealer) Any info. on this?

Any and all help is appreciated!
    Thanks!!

2. TommyBoiSxty9

3. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

I have the Crimestopper 2006FM and I am very satisfied with it. My car has a similar security feature and I just got a $25 part that let me keep the security feature intact and still use the remote start. As far as your Responder question goes, both Viper and Clifford are, I believe, owned by DEI so it is probably just a rebadged model.

4. TommyBoiSxty9

I see that (RE: Responder) they are the same.

How long have u had ur Crimestopper, any probs?

5. Faygo

Faygo Got any room in your pocket for a little spare Cha

I have had it about 4 months now with no problems. I originally had the CS-2005FM, but it just stopped working one day and I sent it back. I found out that there had been a few sent back and Crimestopper replaced it with the new 2006FM model. Since then, not even a small problem.

6. Stupify

Stupify OT Supporter

I have the Ungo MS 2007. It works good at times but it has its times that i push the lock/unlock button the alarm will go off. I had someone install it and he did a very shitty job. Could of had a friend do a better job and he'd done it for free. I think thats why its all messed up the install isn't that good. I'm happy with it and would buy it again. The install is most important thing remember that. You could have a good alarm with shitty install and a shitty alarm with a good install and the shitty one would be better. And remember the LCD display only works from so far away. If you in a mall or school, It won't work. I really don't know if i'd get another one with the LCD display seeing how much more they are. Since not a lot of them work really far away. This got to be a little long but hope it helped. If you have any other questions just send me a pm

7. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

Well... I just picked up the Audiovox APS995C from where I work. $139.63 after tax. :fawk:

It's got the LCD remote, and the regular one. Also before installing, I'm getting the prox sensor, backup battery, and window module (roll two windows both ways).

Very nice system, and a ton of chanells for cool add on stuff. :)

8. TommyBoiSxty9

See this is the brand like 3 shops told me to STAY AWAY FROM

or more or less said when asked what brands they have "Well we don't carry any of that audiovox shit"

:dunno:

9. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

i guess they can say whatever they want to say. I love the system. I've got a DEI window roll up module, and this alarm fucking rocks. Only thing I would change about it is to get a DEI siren. The audiovox one is pretty quiet..

Now I can say from experience... I've had the system for 2 days and it fucking rules.

:bigthumb:

10. TommyBoiSxty9

DEI isn't audiovox?

11. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

No... DEI makes the Viper, Rattler, ect... stuff.

Audiovox' main competitor around my area.

12. boostin-gp

boostin-gp Guest

figured i'd post up a little more.

Again... no problems what-so-ever with the alarm/remote start/or the keyless. My remote goes through batteries like there is no tomarrow, but i use the light a lot and have it on vibrate most of the day.

The one negative that I can see in the audiovox equipment is the way programming is set up. Its uber-confusing. The install and owners manual contradict themselves on what wire color's are which. Its a bit easier for me to work with since I'm the one that I did the install, but I would hate to work with the system not knowing what was hooked up and what wasnt.

So what did you end up getting?

13. Mack_Daddy

Mack_Daddy We've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigar

I just got a BlackWidow alarm installed in my car last weekend up at the local bestbuy. They actually did a really great job :bigthumb: . They took the time to go over everything with me and when it came time to do the install it took them under 4 hours, they did a top notch job though. The thing works great. To fill you in on the alarm a bit:

FEATURES: Two 4-button Transmitters with Labeled Rubber Buttons • Super Regenerative Narrow Band Extended Range Receiver • Built-in Relays for Starter Disable, Flashing Parking Lights, Dome Light Supervision, Door Lock and Unlock • Plug-in Electronic Shock Sensor w/Light Impact Response • LED Status Indicator • Emergency Override Switch • 125dB 6-tone Siren • 2 Auxiliary Outputs • Horn Honk Output • Panic Mode • Valet Mode • Tamper Alert • Automatic Sensor Bypass for Defective Zones • Programmable Trunk Disarm Feature • Programmable Active/Passive Arming • Programmable Automatic Rearming • Programmable Ignition Controlled Lock/Unlock • Programmable Passive Locking • Programmable Extended Pulse Lock Output • Programmable Double Pulse Unlock Output * Programmable Chirp Delete • Temporary Chirp Mute • Remote Sensor and Door Trigger Bypass • Non-volatile Memory • Limited Lifetime Warranty. OPTIONAL ACCESSORIES: Plug-in Radar Sensor (MAS-2) • Plug-in Glass Breakage Sensor (BWS-200P) * Back-up Battery w/Charging Circuit (BWS-500) • Back-up Battery Siren (BWS-BUS-1) • Remote Window Control Module (WRM-2) • Power Trunk Release Solenoid (TR-100) • Remote Auto Start (RAS401) Module (PDLM3)
    http://www.cobraudio.com/Qstore/p000026.htm

Anyway im really happy with this alarm, it does everything a good alarm should and it didnt break the bank either :bigthumb: