remote printing

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Sirkraker, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Sirkraker

Sirkraker New Member

I have a liksys wireless g print server. My router is also the wireless G linksys router.

Is there any way to remote print with this from other computers outside my network?

I firgured it could be done if I forward the right ports.

Thanks,

2. dimins

dimins I'll bring the beers ... OT Supporter

I've never tried it, but you can probably set up a TCP/IP port under the printer properties; then in your router, specify that port traffic to your PC with the printer attached. Then on your remote machine add the printer as your external IP address, on that port. (\\EXTERNALIP:pORTNUMER)

I've never done it, but it's worth a shot.

3. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

this would probably work, but you will have to have the software installed on every computer you want to print from. I have 2 clients with the wireless print servers (which I would NEVER recommend cause they are a PITA) and every computer that uses the printer must have the Print Server Driver installed.

If you haven't done so already, it would be best to set a static IP on the print server, that is outside the range of the DHCP on your router. Than you should be access that IP address only with print requests.

Just keeping the 2 print servers I have working is bad enough, I'd hate to even try something like this without some serious research ahead of time.