Remote Folder Sharing Options?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ChatChai, Jul 8, 2006.

1. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

What are some of my options? (SBS) Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP Pro. I'm looking for something that will give easy access to files and not the desktop. We currently use Remote Web WorkPlace which works well for administrators but not for regular users. I understand VPN is an option but I would like to see other routes if possible.

I noticed Microsoft acquired a company called FolderShare that it placed under its Windows Live Service as Beta. Any thoughts on this? It looks like something that would work considering it also syncs devices. I guess I'm more concerned about security vulnerabilities using it but if anyone has any personal experience on this let me know.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2006
  2. ChatChai

ChatChai OT Supporter

I guess I'm not getting help from anybody on this topic.

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I use VPN. Other than that, dunno what to tell ya.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yep, VPN's just about your only reasonable option here. Buy a dedicated VPN box to connect to your network, and then users with the proper credentials will be able to connect to the VPN over the internet and it will be like they're plugged into the wall in your office.

FolderShare is most likely a fully software-based VPN (dedicated VPN boxes have some hardwired components, allowing for faster speed). It probably works okay, but if you're going to have several users at once you'll want a box built for the task.