Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by nucklearknight, Jan 2, 2009.

1. nucklearknight

nucklearknight New Member

I'm trying to set up a remote desktop connection so that I can access one of my computers from outside my network. How EXACTLY would I do that? I read somewhere that I have to forward the routers ip address to the ip address of the computer or something?

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Microsoft makes a tool called Remote Desktop Web Access, or something like that. Try that.

Failing that, you'd need to know the port number RDP uses, open it to unsolicited incoming traffic on the router, and forward it to the machine you want to connect to.

Personally, I'd rather use GoToMyPC or something like that. And I do.

3. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

(1) find the IP of the computer you want to reach. 192.168.1.xxx, usually.
    (2) log on to your router, find port forwarding or "applications"
    (3) set up port forwarding, TCP and UDP, for port 3389 to that computer.
    (4) in windows, go into system properties and make sure that under the REMOTE tab, remote desktop is enabled.

if all that is set up properly, remote desktop to your computer's external IP (the one you get from your ISP, not the one your router gives your computer) and you should make it to the machine you're looking for.

if you're trying to get to more than one computer, on the same network, i'm not sure how to do that.

4. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

yea, you can set up terminal services that you can access from a web browser, but i think you only really need that if you'll be remoting in from several different computers, and even then windows ships with RDC built in.

it's port 3389

5. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

Simply change the default listen port in the registry to something other than 3389, forward that port on your router as well, and append that port number once you're outside your network and want access to that machine.

6. nucklearknight

It works! Fantastic.
    Question though, what if I update the remote PC and it reboots? Can I login remotely?

7. Sexual Vanilla

If you're connected via a cat5 cable to your router, the answer is most likely yes (as long as you have a static IP address). If you're wireless, the answer is probably no, as IP addressing for a wireless adapter usually takes place once Windows boots up and you log in.

8. nucklearknight

I set the private IP for the computer as fixed so it shouldn't change. Will the IP of the router itself change?

9. Sexual Vanilla

Do you mean your WAN IP address or the local IP address of your router (usually 192.168.x.x)? If you're talking about your WAN address, that will change periodically unless you paid for a static IP address from your ISP. If your WAN IP address changes pretty often, you might want to look into using DynDNS to create a dynamic domain name.

http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/