Remote Desktop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kieffer87, Oct 19, 2006.

1. Kieffer87

Kieffer87 Orly OT Supporter

I want to access my desktop from my laptop while at school. I can do it while at home on the network via the computers name. How do I go about doing it from somewhere other than the network? I am using a linksys router if that helps at all.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Your router prolly has either a firewall or is doing Network Address Translation....prolly both. You will need to know the port that Remote Desktop uses and allow that port through your firewall. YOu will also need to map that port to your desktop machines internal IP address so all requests for that port number will be forwarded to your desktop machine.

3. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

The port is 3389 but a better solution is www.gotomypc.com (pay) or www.logmein.com (has a free option). Neither requires you to reconfigure your router and they are both faster over an internet connection.

No exposed ports FTW

4. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

I've tried logmein and a couple of other similar ones and they all suck. RDP is the way to go. I use it daily and it never fails.

Like said above, you need to forward port 3389 on your router to the internal IP of the machine you want to connect to. If you're that worried about exposed ports, you can easily change the listening port.

Check out www.dslwebserver.com, click on the step by step link, and look for the RDP stuff for a complete walk-though.

6. crazybenf

crazybenf Active Member

Forward port 3389 to your machine on the router to use it as is.

I reccomend changing the port though. It's easy to do in regedit:

HKLM-CurrentControlSet-Control-TerminalServer-WinStations-RDP-TCP-PortNumber

If you use windows firewall, you'll have to add a rule to allow that port traffic.

The remote connection enable screen is under System Properties- Remote

I use RDP on countless machines everyday.. It works well.

7. Kieffer87

So im going to give RDP a try. Instead of putting in the computers name i would put in my external ip followed by :whatever port# I choose. Is that all?

8. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

yup, just make sure you have the port forwarded

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

RDP sucks for full desktop use over even a moderately slow connection. GoToMyPC's is better, but even LogMeIn is faster than RDP. Even with a decent uplink an RDP session can be swamped by animations, such as in web ads in the web browser, GoTo and LogMeIn won't. The reason is the way Microsoft implemented their screen glyph updates. Even with the colors and resolution cranked down, and the "user experience" set low RDP can choke on rapidly updating screen changes. Scrolling text (i.e. telnet sessions running on the host) will also drag it down.

10. Nefarious77

Nefarious77 Guest

I use rdp through an ssh tunnel / reverse tunnel everyday from work to home or home to work. It works great.

11. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

I fully support (and rock) SSH Tunnel with VNC.

12. Schproda

Schproda New Member

The last time I used VNC it downloaded the bitmaps and redrew graphics every time the screen changed. I use RDP through a VPN (more secure) and I can't complain about the speed. It's as fast as Citrix as far as I'm concerned. I wouldn't trust a third party to allow me to access my own PC.

13. Kieffer87

Got it all up and running, seems quick to me. I have object bar installed for a osx type bar at the bottem that pops up so over RDP it bogs down a bit but im happy. Thanks guys!

14. keleko

keleko yes, he is

15. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

GoToMyPC is a great product. We use it at work every day for some work-at-home employees to connect to computers here and do their work, so we can service their workstations without having to pay through the nose to ship them across the country.

Ever hear of the Citrix Metaframe? It's a piece of software that serves out individual applications over the Internet -- it looks like it's running on your computer (no evidence at all that it's remote), yet it's really just a video feed. It's an amazing product and GoToMyPC and GoToMeeting are both based on it.

16. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually there is no relation between GoToMyPC and Citrix ICA, the protocol that Metaframe, now named Presentation Server, uses. They were independently developed and Citrix purchased [forgot company name] who owned GoToMyPC a few years ago. I'm sure there are some individual pieces crossing over between the two but as of right now they are based on different technologies.

As a side note, I'm a senior consultant for a huge Citrix partner so if anyone has any questions about Citrix, terminal server, or thin-client computing feel free to start a thread or PM me.