Remote Desktop with a PC

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Oct 6, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Anyone aware of any VNC programs I can install on a Windoze machine that work with Apple Remote Desktop? :x:

2. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

and you mean support more than just standard vnc stuff? that would be cool...

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I just need standard VNC stuff. Only want to be able to do basic stuff on the PC from the other room on my Mac. Just looking to keep using ARD for it instead of having to use another 3rd party app.

4. The1Ash10

The1Ash10 Active Member

in for this.

5. Pseudonym

Pseudonym --

For remotely controlling your PC from your mac? Or controlling your mac from your PC? you can download Remote Desktop Connection off of the microsoft website to control your PC from your Mac.. don't know about the other way around though.

6. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

you can add any VNC server into ard cant you? you add it by IP. (havent got ard to test atm)

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I installed TightVNC but can't get it working (although I haven't played around with it much). Lots of downsides. First is that your password has to be less then 6 characters. Next is that there is no username and I don't think that Apple Remote Desktop likes that.

Just looking to do some basic remote access from my Mac. I'll give the M$ one a try when I get a chance.

8. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

remote desktop is the best way to go.

if you want vnc use ultravnc.

9. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

the standard remote desktop software works very well, I can't imagine why I would need anything else.

10. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

What software specifically? TightVNC isn't working right and that's about as standard, open source, and widely used as you can get on the Windoze side.

11. dbman96

dbman96 Active Member

12. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I'm aware of that one but as I said, I would like to continue to use Apple Remote Desktop to control the remote machine rather then installing another program to remotely operate the PC.

13. verbal

verbal Active Member

You can do this with screen sharing which is included in Leopard. I've gotten it to work locally, but I can't get it to work over the internet.

14. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Fuck. Stupid Remote Desktop isn't included in Vista Home Premium. Lame. Means I have to install a 3rd party VNC client on the PC. Haven't found a 3rd party one that works right with Apple Remote Desktop.

15. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Ended up going with UltraVNC and it's working fine.