Remote desktop (win xp)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Lensman, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Lensman

Lensman New Member

At work we use Remote Administrator to view our users' desktops and help them with problems remotely.

Well, Norton AV doesn't like this program. Even if I exclude the program's files from Norton's scanning, its like it still deletes the files and the program won't work.

So I was thinking of just using the remote desktop untility that comes with XP. This will work except for one thing. When you connect to a computer, it puts up a workstation locked message. Sometimes we need to connect to a user's PC without it being so obvious that we are doing something. Is there a way to use remote desktop without it displaying that message?

2. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

nope. not that i'm aware of.

i wish i could offer alternatives, but unfortunately i cant. i just know i've never seen or heard of that while using Remote Desktop.

3. Lensman

Lensman New Member

yeah, thats what i figured. stupid microsoft

4. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

I see the reasons they did it... but it would be very helpful to have such functionality readily available.

If you search around i'm sure you'd be able to find a suitable alternative though. My only concern is if you are trying to be logged onto an XP box while your normal user is still logged on. If that is the case, you might not be able to do it... since XP only allows one user to be logged on at a time.

5. chips

chips ...

use SMS if you have alot of systems you need to remote in to..

6. Yep

Yep Knick knack paddy whack, give the old dog a bone

Windows XP Pro only supports one terminal service user at a time. :(

I use it all the time though, great for rolling out updates or checking on things after hours.

7. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I used to use VNC all the time for that kind of stuff. I'm not sure if there are any security issues with using it, but it always worked well for me on my own home network with both Macs and PCs.

8. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

WinVNC will not prompt for a connection unless you specify for it to. We use it at work and the guys never know I'm watching them.

9. carpet muncher

carpet muncher New Member

DameWare's MiniRemote (or something like that) will let you connect w/out the end-user knowing.