Remote Desktop Programs?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Kerpal, Apr 10, 2004.

1. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

I'm totally uninformed when it comes to remote desktop programs, maybe you guys can give me some basic advice. I don't even know if what I need exists, but from what I've overheard it seems like it does...

Is there a program that works without having to install any software on the remote computer? I'd like to be able to access my home system (XP Pro) from school (mostly Win 2000 systems) and friends' houses (XP and Mac OS X systems), and obviously I can't really be installing anything on those computers.

I mainly want to retreive files, and run certain programs... can I use any program installed on my home computer through a remote desktop? It would be awesome if I could run DC++ or bittorrent whenever I remember something I want to download, and have it waiting for me when I get home... Also, can I use MSN or Trillian remotely? It's a huge PITA that I can't use them at school.

TIA. :)

2. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

No there is no software like what you're asking, and it's not really possible to make. I wrote a program similar to what you're asking about, but you cannot run other programs through it, you can't start downloads, can't have any view of your desktop or anything like that. But you can retrieve files, and do many many other things. If you're interested in buying it, or hearing more about it you can PM me.

3. CyberBullets

CyberBullets I reach to the sky, and call out your name. If I c

yes there is. search for vnc. there is real vnc, tight vnc, and a few others. i believe they have mac clients. i know there is linux/windows clients.

though u cant share files thought it directly, you can still do the rest of the stuff.
    you dont even have to install anything either! u can use a browser (with java installed) ti view it or run the exe viewer.

to access it though IE/Moz/FF just type htttp://youripnumber:5800

you can change the port number if it bothers u to run on 5800

4. Kerpal

Kerpal handlobraes

cool, I'll look into vnc...

5. Dark-Hawk

Dark-Hawk New Member

Ah hmm wasn't aware that you could access VNC through a browser, been a while since I've looked at it/it's source

6. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

I tried using VNC and had no idea how to get it to work. If anyone can help me please let me know.

7. CyberBullets

where are u having problems? im not much of a mind reader

8. you know me

you know me OT where the douchbags play

I kinda didn't want to hijack this thread but I guess others may have the same problems. The two computers I was trying to connect too were both XP Pro boxes. We are both behind a firewall that PSU has implimented which is why we can't use the remote desktop in XP.

I couldn't figure out how to get the program to connect to the other box. I typed in the IP address and it triec to connect but it wasn't able to. I don't know if this is a firewall program (school, ZoneAlarm, and the XP wall) problem, or a set up program. Both PC's are configured the same way.

9. CyberBullets

if there is a firewall u wont be getting past