remote desktop into vmware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by raand, Feb 18, 2009.

1. raand

raand New Member

I just had a quick question about windows Remote Desktop and VMWARE. Is it possible to remote from a Windows XP machine into VMWARE running on a linux machine?

2. 4thgenceli

4thgenceli Active Member

You trying to RDP into a virtual windows system running a physical linux system?

But to answer your question... sure. I have a windows & a linux VM server running. Much easier to do if you do bridged networking (each VM has it's own public IP). Can be down with NAT'd networking, but a little more tricky though (need to pick different ports & forward them, ie server:990 -> 192.168.0.185:3389).

3. raand

raand New Member

I am trying to RD into my work system and I can VPN in, but they only have the remote system set up for windows so I was just wondering if I can use the windows RD to RD into VMWARE, which is running on a linux box.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Yes, it works fine. All that matters is you have the IP address of the target machine, or a network that can translate NETBIOS names into IP addresses, and that the target machine "speaks" Remote Desktop.

I do it every day.

EDIT: Oh, you want to remote into VMware itself? You should be able to install the VMware Server interface on your machine, then give it the IP address of the VM server, and VMware should handle the rest. Or you can use VNC to remote-desktop into the Linux OS that's running VMware.