Remote Desktop help...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by miek, Oct 24, 2005.

1. miek

miek New Member

Ok, I'm pretty well off in knowledge of computers, but I don't have the slightest clue on how to setup a remote desktop with another computer. I'm in a computer class in my university, and I'm trying to help somebody with their computer assignment, and it would be way easier if I could just set up the remote desktop and do it for them and show them how to do it at the same time.

I hear theres some way to do it with MSN Messenger, but I really don't know wtf to do.

If anyone could help or even find me a page where I could learn how to do this that would be awesome.

Any help is appreciated guys, thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Go to dslwebserver.com. Click on the step by step link on the left an scroll down to the Windows XP section.

It's nothing more than enabling RDP on the client machine and then connecting to it from your machine. You do need port 3389 open on a router if you plan to use it.

I have no idea about MSN Messenger and RDP.

3. Zak8022

Zak8022 New Member

remote desktop doesnt work the way that you are describing it. if you remote into your friend's comptuer, they wont be able to see what you are doing. all they will see is their login screen, while you are doing the work 'behind the scenes' (as far as they are concerned).

while i would be happy to help you setup RDP, i dont think that is really the solution you are looking for. i have heard of other things, but i cannot remember what they are called. i know some tech support centers use them, but i've never been exposed to it. maybe someone else can shed some light on that.

4. cmendoza

cmendoza New Member

your looking for VPN :) VPN I belive is the thing that you can both be playing on the computer at the same time and that way they can see what you are doing and they can do it with you.

5. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Ah... forgot about it locking the screen on the machine you are connected to.

6. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

No, VPN is just a tunneled connection to another network.

Netmeeting has a remote control feature that allows the other user to interact. Here is an article on how to set up neetmeeting. http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/ntsrvnmt.html If you cant find NetMeeting on the start menu, run conf.exe. You can skip the microphone setup too.

7. chips

chips ...

Go and download VNC and foward the correct ports

8. miek

miek New Member

ok thanks guys, I also figured out that you can do remote assistance through msn too, but I'll look into this as well.