remote boot / wake on lan

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by gui3, Apr 15, 2008.

1. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

i googled, but didn't find what i was looking for.

i have a media server running XP MCE that i want to be able to remote boot / wake from sleep remotely. i looked in my BIOS but didn't see any settings that would help.

is there a way to do it without 3rd party software with XP?

obviously remote boot would need some kind of hardware; is it a NIC card thing or something else?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You need a NIC card that has the capability, a BIOS that allows that capability, and magic packet giver to provide the waking.

Or, you can set your computer to turn on at a certain time - again in the BIOS.

3. Chris

Chris New Member

if your computer is decently new it SHOULD support WOL even if there are no BIOS settings for it (it is just defaulted on) mine doesnt have any BIOS settings for it but I can WOL

next you need to check your NIC, right click on your Local Area Connection and go to properties, then click on the configure button to configure you NIC, look through all the settings tabs for anything about waking, Ive seen it under advanced and power management (depends on your NIC drivers), turn on what you need

Lastly, assuming you have the first 2 working, you need a way to send the wake signal. DD-WRT has a built in WOL feature. If I need to wake a machine at my house I log into my DD-WRT router control panel, send the WOL signal, wait 30 secs or so, then log into Remote Desktop of the machine I want. There are web based services and programs that can send the magic packet for you, but if you want to send it over the internet and you are behind a router/firewall you will need to configure it to allow the packet through. Thats why I like using the DD-WRT panel, because I can easily connect to it from anywhere and then all the machines I would want to wake are locally connected to it.

4. gui3

gui3 all the dude ever wanted was his rug back

ok, thanks for the info.

i recently got an apple airport extreme as a gift and switched to it from a linksys wrt54G running dd-wrt. i will have to check and see if it supports WOL.

my server/NIC are a few years old. i'm about to put in a new gigabit ethernet card, since the router is gigabit and it's a server. i'll look for a new nic that is sure to support WOL.

5. Chris

Chris New Member

If the light in the NIC stays on when the machine is turned off then it will work