GUN Remington Model 770 as a first hunting rifle.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Cannondale, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Ok, so my brother is possibly contemplating the purchase of a Remington 770 as a hunting rifle. It's a basic rifle with a scope included, standard package deal. It is a cheap rifle, and I am aware of the Model 710s shortcomings (mainly the bolt stop) which was supposedly fixed on the 770. I know there are better packages out there like the Savage, but they are significantly more expensive.

My real question is, would a 770 be a decent rifle for someone that will probably take it to the range 10 times and hunt a few times with it a year?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Probably hold up. I'd be much more concerned about the glass/mounts than I would the rifle.

You can score 700's so cheap these days if you look around..... Has your brother checked out the local pawn shops/gunshops/etc? How savvy is he with the internets? With how cheap you can buy used 700's, I would seriously think heavily before I dropped a bunch of money in something that was going to suck ass from the getgo, and that I would only lose my ass on if I tried to sell it.

3. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

Should be fine.

</thread>

4. KMD

KMD New Member

I wouldn't buy one.
    Spend a little more and get a Stevens 200 with a decent scope.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  5. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

My father won a Model 770 .243 in a raffle at the Friends of the NRA dinner last year. We've never even shot it :o

Seems like a nice rifle, though.

6. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Someone's rifle that has been shot-up or cleaned incorrectly many times won't really be worth it IMO. The 700 is a good rifle, but it's trigger isn't great if you don't have the tools necessary for adjusting it. I would rather him go for a Savage with a nice easily adjustable trigger than a used 700.

Edit: Or a Model 770 if I get some positive feedback on it, but that seems to not be the case.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2008
  7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe you are right then. If you don't have the flat head screwdriver, nor the understanding to adjust the three screws on a 700, then it's probably not for him. Might I suggest this instead:

[​IMG]

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Or a trigger pull gauge, and know how to set the sear engagement safely. If you think that you can just go hog-wild on the three screws in a 700 trigger, maybe you need to be buying a Daisy air rifle. :rofl:

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

A trigger pull gauge?

Dude, I'm guessing you haven't done this before. Adjust the trigger, put it back on rifle and drop it on the butt. If it clicks, you've went too far. I can't imagine much simpler.

10. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I own a Tikka T3, I've never had to adjust a trigger that could become unsafe.

11. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

*sigh*

So I'm guessing now that the most used action in north america is now "unsafe" because some retard, somewhere, can manage to fuck it up by screwing up a trigger? All coming from a guy who I'm betting hasn't ever owned a Remmy.

C'mon dude. Seriously!? Whether or not you choose to buy one based on whatever reason you can formulate, that's absurd.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2008
  12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Are you stupid? When did I say that the Remington 700 action was unsafe? Nowhere. I claimed that adjusting the trigger improperly can make the gun dangerous. What I'm not willing to do, is tell my brother to get a Remington 700, then adjust the trigger improperly and have something happen. I really can't see why me thinking about safety is a bad thing.

You have turned this into some big ordeal, when it wasn't even the point of the thread. I asked for input, you gave me some and then went on some tirade about how I am an idiot because I don't know how to adjust a trigger I've never even looked into. I'm not sure what your deal is but I don't really care anymore. I'm not an authorized Remington repair facility, so I'm not supposed to be equipped to adjust it. I don't see how that concept is so hard to understand.