GUN Remington Model 700

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Heimdall, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

Just curious on OT'ers views of this rifle? I am considering the XCR. I will be using it mostly for shooting at a range and possibly going for long range shooting (combined with a suitable scope naturally). I am considering the .308 Caliber

How are these rifles in regards to accuracy/reliability and ease of maintenance? Is there any particular caliber that is better than another?

I haven't owned a gun before but I have been trained up in stripping down/using an F-88 Austyer and fired various .22 rifles. How are these for a relative beginner to rifle ownership?

Alternative recommendations?

apologies if this has been covered before here.

2. They are very good rifles for the price. .308 is a good caliber for all around use; it's accurate at longer distances and it won't bankrupt you as fast as something like a .300 Win Mag. With quality ammo you shouldn't have a problem shooting around 1MOA.

3. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

Pretty solid rifle.

4. Liptonucf

Liptonucf wee woo wee woo wee woo

I had the 700 LTR and it was awsome. Kinda sad I got rid of it, but there is a lack of nice ranges around here. the 700 is analogous to how the 870 is to shotguns. Its got an awsome action, and its very reliable. My LTR would do sub-MOA as well.

5. Skot281??

Skot281?? New Member

The 700 is a great rifle out of the box, and an outstanding base for a high precision rifle build.

6. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I has the PSS

I'm happy with it.

7. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

If you're just going to shoot at the range or possibly long range why get a sporter-weight rifle? If no lugging is involved get a PSS, LTR, SPS Varmint, or whatever. Go heavy.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I'm huge fan of 700's. They are exceptional rifles IMO, and you can do a lot with one on the cheap.

I notice that you live in Australia..... I'm not hip on market conditions down there, so do you mind if I ask you what you'll be paying for an XCR?

I ask, because here you can generally get a whole lot more for your money sourcing used stuff. I don't know about oz though.....

I will say that you can do a whole lot better than that stock.... I personally think it's garbage, and wouldn't spend the money on that particular model (it's a stainless rifle with a clearcoat, and a shitty stock).

9. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

Cool thanks i'll look in to those options, i don't see the PSS or LTR on the remington website though, are these older/discontinued models in the 700 range?

Brand new for the XCR it is around US$1700 (after tax) the SPS would be around US$1000 here. I haven't looked in to the 2nd hand market yet but will probably check around the various rifle/gun clubs once i get back to my home state (currently other side of country)

Which stock would you recommend? the same as the quote above on say an SPS?

10. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

Also thanks to everyone else who has replied so far with the positive feed back :)

11. bursty

bursty New Member

12. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

:eek3::eek3:

Man... I knew they were more expensive down there, but that is insane. For comparison, I can usually get a into a 700 with a high-end tube, and a McMillan stock for <1K.

Not knowing how prices correlate, it's hard to recommend parts/guns/etc, as much of what I/most people buy is based on "value" as it pertains to the american market.

That being said..... McMillan is THE premier maker of stocks. I like their "classic" stock for lighterweight builds (like the XCR pictured), the Sako Hunter/varmint patterns for mid-weight builds, and the A-5 for heavy stuff. Their construction is beyond top notch, and they seemingly have a handle on ergonomics.

Other makers of interest (that I don't have nearly as much experience with), would be Manners, Accuracy International, and Bell & Carslon.

Personally.... I'd skip whatever bullshit Remington is putting together, and just buy a base rifle from them, in a caliber/contour/finish that suits you. Then I'd go shopping for an appropriete handle from one of the above makers mentioned. $700 will buy you a brand new optioned out McMillan here in the states (of course I don't know how that translates there, but it has to be something), and will be WORLDS better than that Hogue shit.

I buy used whenever I get the chance, as it allows me to save money on first-rate goods. You are buying nearly the simplest of machines here, and it's hard to fuck one up. Try grabbing up something from someone used, and go from there. What are the import restrictions like in Oz? At those prices, the first thing I thought of was "buy used here, and ship there", but I would imagine it probably isn't that simple (hence the price different to begin with).

Just throwing some thoughts out there. A 700 is a FINE rifle, though I would personally pass on that model/handle because I think you could go aftermarket and get more performance for less $$.

13. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

cool thanks, the $'s isn't really an issue for me as if it is decent quality i am more than happy to pay what it is worth. I do believe if the fire arm complies to our laws it shouldn't be too much of an issue to import. That or I could do as you say, purchase a base model and then develop it with aftermarket stock/parts which would be easier to import than a whole firearm. I was mostly just asking about that particular model/handle as an associate who is also getting in to it has purchased that particular 1 and is happy with it.

Rather than rush in to anything i thought i'd ask the people of OT who seem to be fairly knowledgable on these things (considering the gun crew/zombie crew/etc).

14. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

+1 for the Savage

16. Heimdall

Heimdall OT Supporter

hmm... spoke with my old man, and he's actually suggested the Steyr SSG 69 range, we're originally from austria so i think he's biased. How would they stack up?

17. Just a quick search turned up some prices. They're almost 3x as expensive as the 700s. I don't even want to know what that would cost you in Australia.

18. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

700 is a great rifle, I own one. I also have a Savage 10FP, also a great gun but the factory stock is not as nice as the Remington. If you can get a 10FP with the McMillian stock, it's a great choice also.

19. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

I like my 700 5R...it definitely outshoots me.

20. insanity911

insanity911 AHAHAHAHAH

I have a LTR it's great, you'll find the 700p / ltr on the LE site, remingtonle.com