GUN Remington 870

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by BiggDoggUNC, Feb 18, 2007.

1. BiggDoggUNC

BiggDoggUNC Show me a good loser... and I'll show you a loser.

I want to go pick up an 870, but, I have never owned a shotgun, and have only shot them a handful of times so I want to ask you guys some questions before I pick one up.

Basically I'll have it for home defense, but would love to take it to a range and shoot trap with the guys from time to time.

I don't really understand the terminology of 18" choke, 26-28" vent barrel with a modified choke. I have no idea what they are talking about. So if someone could break it down, and even make suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

2. Clusive

Clusive Happiness is a belt-fed weapon.

3. BiggDoggUNC

4. Chris

Chris New Member

Just get the standard 26" barrel all synthetic 870 Express Super Magnum, I have this exact gun. I think it comes with a modified choke, which is the medium of the standard chokes and it can fire all 2-3/4", 3" and 3-1/2" shells. I have this exact gun, it will do everything you need. I mean you could get a double pistol grip 14" barrel gang banger special for your home defense but you wouldnt be able to do much at the skeet range.

This is all you need right here

[​IMG]

5. Chris

Chris New Member

and as fart as chokes, the choke is a piece that screws into the end of the barrel which will adjust the pattern of the spray of the shot. Full choke is smallest and thus fires the tightest pattern, but you will end very irritated at the skeet range with one of those being a beginner. Modified is the medium, and as I said the one I think comes with the gun. Improved cylinder is the largest and thus creates the largest pattern.

Of course there are other specialized chokes, turkey hunting chokes and such but these 3 are the ones you will need to be worried about.

And a longer barrel is going to give you more muzzle velocity, people that hunt geese and cranes that need to reach out and touch them from way up in the air use the longer 28" barrels.

The standard model will do it all, and depending on which choke it comes with you could use a modified and an improved cylinder. The improved cylinder with some size 7-1/2 shot for the target range and either leave it in or switch to the modified with some 3-1/2" 00 buckshot shells for home defense.

6. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

I was looking for the same thing when I got my shotgun... 18" for HD and longer for trap/hunting, etc...

Mossberg sells a combo kit that comes with a 500 pump-action, 18.5" barrel, 28" barrel, and a pistol grip kit. I belive the combo number is something like 56169..:dunno:

I got mine from a Sportsman's Warehouse here in SA. Not too many stores will carry that exact item in stock, but should be able to order it for you like Sportsman's did for me.

My $0.02

7. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

You wouldn't be able to get that 14" barrel without a permit, however. An 18" barrel is the shortest allowed without a license.

8. Chris

Chris New Member

nga plz i got a hacksaw

9. BiggDoggUNC

thanks for all the information and the suggestions

10. thedude11

thedude11 New Member

My suggestion was the best.

11. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

buy this one now and in two years buy a 870 marine magnum for home defence mallninja'ing

12. Chris

Chris New Member

mag or super mag 870?

13. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Where did you get the 18" barrel from?

14. twofourtysx

twofourtysx New Member

I have a super mag 870 and I love it. It has never failed me and shoots great. It's fun letting your friends shoot it and putting a 3.5" shell in the last round and watching them get a nice little suprise :o

15. Chris

Chris New Member

A couple years ago my dad and I were at my family's deer lease and I had been turkey hunting with my super mag with 3-1/2" turkey loads and one of those super full turkey chokes. Well after I finished hunting we were driving around and got out of the truck to pick up firewood. While we were doing that a couple crows flew over real high and my dad has this thing about crows so he reached into the truck and pulled out the first gun he saw, which was mine, still loaded with turkey loads. He throws it up to his shoulder and lets a round off pretty much straight up into the air. Well aparently he didnt get it shoulder just right in his hurry and he wasnt expecting the firepower I had loaded in it (he thought it had dove loads in it). Needless to say the whole right side of his face was bruised for the rest of the trip, and I dont think he shot any more that trip cause it hurt too bad :mamoru: