GUN Remington 870

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by RyeLou, Jan 17, 2005.

1. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I'm considering getting this gun in the 16 gauge model. I didn't think they made them anymore, but they're still on their website. It wouldn't be for hunting, but more for skeet and recreational purposes and keeping in my home. I'd get the synthetic (black) one. Opinions? FYI, I think the MSRP is around $330

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

16 gauge is a waste of money. Nobody likes it, so no manufacturers make accessories or ammo. Find someone who has both a 20 gauge and a 12 gauge, put at least 30 rounds through each, and see which one of those you like best.

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

:werd:

16 gauge is slowly fading out, 12 and 20 gauge shells are much easier to come by.

4. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

yes, 16 ga is waste of money, go with 12, most versatile, and the 870 is a great choice, ill put any amount of money that they sold more 870's than any other shotgun, ever.

5. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

I have an 870 (youth model :mamoru: ) My dad bought it for me when I was about 15.

Its 20 guage, i like it. I've been to shoot skeet, shot a few rabbits, and with the screw in chokes i could use it for birds, etc...

:wavey:

6. Otto

Otto Who the hell do you think I am!?!?!?!

Sad that 16ga is going out. I have a "been in the family forever" Model 11 that is 16ga. Its getting harder and harder to find ammo. Gonna have to stockpile it for the future sometime. I enjoy shooting it but the ammo situation means ill probally be looking at a good 12ga in a few years.

7. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

870s are piles of shit

8. El Patrón

El Patrón New Member

I have that same shotgun...got it from my dad when I was 15 too, lol. It's pretty fun, I always start out the rookies on that when I take them shooting.

9. 04

04 Guest

:p My 870 shoots great.

10. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Yeah, both of mine do, too. I've got 9 shotguns and prefer the 870. Once again, PT doesn't know what he's talking about... :fawk:

This one's for the house:

[​IMG]

The other is a standard synthetic model with over 20,000 shells through it and is still runnin' strong.

11. 7

You should find an old Winchester Model 12, best pumps ever made. :o

12. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

i was told you cant put a choke on them. So your spreads are 3 feet @ 10 yards .:ugh2:

I almost bought one, til i read about that.

13. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

My friend at work said he has no problem at all finding 16ga. ammo. He said he also read and was told by friends of his in the Marines (he's also a Marine), that a few of the companies were going to try producing/selling a few 16ga. shotguns again.

14. 04

04 Guest

:eek:

I want my 870 to look like that :o

I only have the 870 express with the wood stock and 28" bbl. Basically the cheapest one :o

P.S. I think PT was kidding about the 870 sucking, IIRC he has one himself :embd:

15. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

It's still expensive as hell compared to 12 or 20 :o

16. spooney

spooney WTF Sony?

The Wal Mart that I work for just started carrying 16ga again last year. It is making a comeback.

17. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

:rofl::rofl:

who the fuck told you that?!

i have screw in chokes that work fine...

:wavey:

18. Goat

I would assume whether or not you can use chokes varies depending on the model of 870 you buy.

19. Goat

I still don't think it has any advantages to warrant buying it over a 12 or 20, it may be making a comeback, but it's still hard to find and costly compared to other shotshells.

20. A96HondaAccordCoupeEX

A96HondaAccordCoupeEX Silver Member

Probably. The one I was interested in was, the 870 Express Synthetic 18" barrel with 7shots.

I was told by an owner of the exact model I want, here on OT a few days ago. I cant seem to find the post at the moment.

21. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

If a 16ga. isn't worth it because of the lack of accessories and the dificulty of finding ammo, is the 20ga. going to be too small for me? I don't intend on hunting but just to use it for recreational/sport/shooting random shit on family property and keeping at home.

22. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

well i have the youth version, and i have screw in chokes, and according to the Remington website both the youth model and the regular model has Rem Choke... so i think they both take screw in choke.

23. 7

If you just use it for skeet and shootings cans and what not 20ga is fine, it'll be easier on you than a 12.

24. Kpac0

Kpac0 Guest

:werd:

you can kill small game, varmit with it too... :cool:

25. PUREVIL

PUREVIL More Money Than Brains Croo

I just bought an 870 Marine Magnum.... I'm got a Surefire for it and SpeedfeedIII pistol girp on order.... I think I may put a red dot sight on it for fun.... I shoot slugs mostly but I want to try trap again :big grin: 870 best shotgun for the money.