GUN Remington 870 Question.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Cable Guy, May 23, 2009.

1. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I just picked this up today and slapped a knoxx stock on it. Anyways, my question is:

Do you guys ever get FTEs on this thing?

I ran a few dummy rounds through mine just now and it didn't spit them all out.

This only happens when there are other rounds in the tube.

I also noticed that the ejector is just a piece of bent metal.

Anyone else have any problems with it?

I haven't run actual shells through it yet, but will go tomorrow, I guess I'll find out if its a real problem then, but I'd still like some input on this.

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Mine has difficulty ejecting fired shells. I assume it's because they expand a little, and get wedged in there. I keep meaning to take some steel wool to the chamber but I've been lazy.

3. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

never, must be the stock

4. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

DOUBLE PLOST

5. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

The stock doesn't affect the action of the shotgun itself, I don't think this is it.

I noticed that the extractor seems relatively weak compared to the mossberg, and is only one sided.

Also, again, the ejector looks weak.

6. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Mine had a bunch of FTE's the other day when I took it out. I am not 100% sure it is the guns fault as it was my first time shooting a shotgun.

7. TATEROTE

TATEROTE OT Supporter

you shoulder's weak, definitely the stock

8. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

shut the fuck up :rofl:

On a different note, any recommendations on aftermarket followers?

The stock one is absolutely horrible. It binds up almost every single time it reaches the extension tube, and it came with it too :ugh:

9. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

wtf

this level of fail is usually just reserved for mossberg

10. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

On the contrary, my Mossberg has never given me any problems.

11. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

ya can't go wrong with the mossberg or the 870, especially for the price range their in.

my 870 only started having some issues after years and years of use and many hunting trips (including when i was younger and dumber, and didn't take care of the weapon as well i should have)

gotta love the dual extractors on the mossy though :)

12. mtnbike4522

mtnbike4522 CelicaTech.com

never had a problem with mine. I even dropped it in the river duck hunting when it was -10 bellow, picked it up, shook the water off, kept on firing like nothing happened.

my buddy has never cleaned his, hes afraid hes gonna wash the luck off. never seen his have any problems either

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Most likely it's you jank ass dummy rounds. Until you put real ammo through it I would not worry. Now you also have to use decent ammo. Some hulls will expand funny and be harder to rack out of the gun. Pretty much everyone agrees the federal bulk stuff you get at walmart $22/100 for 7.5 or 8 shot is pretty good.

My 870's have been real reliable and eats all ammo. Though I did have the barrel back bored and the forcing cones lenghtened like I do on just about all my shotguns. I also stoned and polished many of the contact points so it strokes real smooth. Doesn't hurt that I got a shit load of rounds through it too so it's well broken in.

The inexpensive 870 express are a little rough around the edges and may need to be broken in or massaged a bit. It's not like your buying a $$$ vang comp or scattergun tech 870

14. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

This would happen with some of the live rounds I had as well. I guess I'll find out how it functions with Federal #7.5 tomorrow.

However, the follower still binds when it hits the extension, any advice? Get a new follower, spring, anything?

15. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

the win AA's have trouble ejecting sometimes in my 870 and i've seen that specific one do it in other 870s as well.

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Which follower do you have in the gun. My 870 express mag came with a orange plastic follower. It looks cheap but it works ok.

If you want to get a aftermarket follower the two I like are the vang comp follower

http://www.shop.vangcomp.net/produc...C9BD15.qscstrfrnt03?categoryId=7&productId=42

There is a trick to installing the thing. Take some pliars and twist the first coil around the post to capture the follower to it. What you don't want is a the end of the spring to be able to catch in the seem where the extention mates.

Nordic components also makes a super sexy follower. They used to offer it in red don't know if they still do.

http://buy.nordiccomp.com/product.aspx?pid=372

With a shotgun you need to look at a few thing. How you screw the extention on is a major point. It the spring is binding as you twist on the extention it will kink. If the spring kinks you just lost some of your reliability. You can tell if you spring is kinked if you pull it out. It won't be strait, it'll have a bend in it. If you see this get a new spring.

The factory extention is pretty much garbage for this reason. There is no way to relieve the spring tension when screwing in the extention. A good extention like the nordic or the DMW has a free floating or screw on end cap specificly for relieving tension. I like the DMW (davesmetalworks.com) hes local CA too!

Also you need enough spring. IIRC you need like 8" - 12" of free run of spring (8" - 10") longer than end of extention to follower.)

17. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

Mine had the same problem until I took a 12ga brush+patch on a drill + rubbing compound to the chamber.

18. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Interesting stuff from yar.

Can you define bent spring please. I ran / programmed cnc machines for some time. I don't know if you mean it's bent, or floppy.

Get what I mean?

19. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Also are you racking the pump hard enough? My gf always has issues with FTE's but Ive never had one. You could have also overtightened the stock screw :hay:

20. The Cable Guy

The Cable Guy New Member

I thought that was the problem at first, so I tried racking it hard enough to send shells across the room. Some still get snagged.

Cliffs on overtightening stock, or are you just trollin?

21. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

i saw a bunch of it in the awerbuck class last year. thats why i mentioned them specifically.

22. Ford4Life

Ford4Life Guest

I have the basic 870, 18" bbl and factory tube extension, I've never had an problems with the factory follower or it extracting rounds. Mine has the orange hi-viz follower, it's plastic but it works ok. Put well over 1k rounds though the gun of all kinds of ammo, it's extracted them all.

23. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Mine ejects live rounds just fine. Spent hulls not so much.

In for answer about the stock.

24. spankaveli

spankaveli OT Supporter

Over tightening the action screws can cause issues but I'm not aware of any issues that can be caused by overdoing the stock screw.

25. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

If you overtightened the stock screw it can torque the receiver a little and cause issues but it would have to be alot of over tightening