GUN Remington 700 or Springfield M1A

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 4bangin, Jan 22, 2006.

1. 4bangin

4bangin Ballet of Violence

I am wanting to get a nice gun for long range shooting. I have no experience in it at all. I do like .308 for some reason though. I went gun shopping yesterday and really liked both the M1A and 700. The M1A was the SOCOM II version with the cluster rail, so it was very heavy. Otherwise it felt like a very nice gun. Although ALOT more expensive than the Remington 700. I also noticed alot of swat teams use the 700. So I am torn between these 2. The money isnt an issue, but I dont want to spend an extra grand for a gun that isnt as nice as the cheaper one. Especially if the cheaper will do just as nice of a job.

What is your opinion on these 2?

2. Michael Westen

Michael Westen OT Supporter

kinda 2 different beasts, the M1A is a battle rifle, with an intermediate cartidge.

the rem 700 is more of a hunting/target weapon. If you are looking for precision id take the 700, if you are looking for a lead slinger, id take the M1A

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

A SOCOM II for long range?:hsugh: Get one of the standard length models.

4. Accord

Accord New Member

Why are you going to waste your money on a shitty ass Springfield M1A when you can buy a REAL M1 Garand from CMP for less than half the cost.

5. 7

How is an M1A shitty? :ugh:

6. Accord

Accord New Member

The SA M1A's are regarded as absolute crap in the M1 community.

The only good M1A's produced by Springfield were the ones with all USGI parts, but those ones aren't in production anymore. All the new M1A's are made with cast and machined parts that aren't even in the same league as the original USGI parts, basically anytime you have a problem with your M1A, Springfield will fix the problem by replacing the crappy stock part with a USGI part and the problem is solved. The ones with no USGI parts are not desireable at all and a total waste of money, they've had huge QC issues and it's just not worth spending that kind of money to get a subpar product.

If you're going to buy a SA M1A, just buy an older one from the early 90's and before and make sure it's got all USGI parts. The value of the older SA M1A's with all USGI parts that are used pretty much cost the same as a new M1A with the crappier parts. If you want to buy a brand new M1A/M14, then buy one from Fulton Armory or LRB, both of which still use USGI parts, unlike Springfield.

www.fulton-armory.com
    http://www.lrbarms.com/pages/1/index.htm

Also, check this thread out: http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=415304&page=1

Last edited: Jan 22, 2006
  7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you want reliable just buy a Polytech M14 :o

8. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

[​IMG]
    why dont you just get a .50 cal for the long range shots

i would get an M1 garand over that M1a thing.

9. reman

reman New Member

^^^ kind of a bit over kill and it costs around $8k for the m82.

10. 4bangin

To be perfectly honest I dont know too much about Springfield. I have always heard they had a great reputation and that the M1 was an awesome gun. The reason I am picking between these two is because a local gun store has them in stock and I have couple hundred bucks in credit there. I obviously don't know everythign there is to know about each gun, that's why I asked here :)

11. 4bangin

The longest range near me is 700 yards. You don't think the SOCOM II would be very accurate at this range? I just kinda assumed it would being .308. But then again I'm stilll learning...

12. 7

It only has a 16" barrel, you'd be better off with a stardard, loaded, or national match model.

13. Accord

Accord New Member

Springfield Armory does have an great reputation and the M1 was an awesome gun.

Except the modern day Springfield Armory who makes the XD's, M1A's, etc. is not the same thing as the ORIGINAL Springfield Armory which has been around for several hundred years and they're not the same people who originally made the M1 Garand and other American classics.

I almost made the mistake of buying an M1A thinking I was buying the real thing from a company just as old as America itself, until I learned the real story about "Springfield Armory." They're just a name, they're not the ACTUAL Springfield Armory that everyone knows about and thinks of.

14. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

QFT.

there's a reason i got rid of my M1A "loaded" and replaced it w/ a 700 PSS.

15. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

ok, so your saying that a fulton m1a fullsize would be better accuracy-wise than a nat. or super match Springfield in current production? thats pretty retarded (not you, springfield), learn somehtign everyday i guess

is there anywhere where i could read about the "real story" behind springfield armory :x:, love reading about this shit

and yes to answer your question, if your going to dunk down 700 some dollars on a rilfe to learn yourt basics i would pick up a remington pss in .223 (it has cheaper ammo which means more shooting), if your hooked on .308 then you can get that also, can't really go wrong with a remmy700

hell for the amount you would be putting down for a m1a, you might as well get that remmy700 in .223 AND .308

Last edited: Jan 23, 2006
  16. eWRXshun

eWRXshun hai

:rofl:

17. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't have a link, but back in the mid-1970's some random guy purchased the rights to the name "Springfield Armory" and then began producing 1911's and other guns trying to capitalize on the Springfield name. The current Springfield Armory has absolutely no relation and no association to the REAL and original Springfield Armory which everyone knows about.

"Springfield Armory" is nothing more than a name.

Edit: I just went to the SA website, it says that in 1968 the government shut down the original Springfield Armory and then 6 years later in 1974, a business man purchased the rights to the Springfield Armory name.

18. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Dont have any link to the story but, I've seen numerous complaints about springfields m1a's on various boards, bolts breaking after shooting 2 rounds, sights falling off the rifle.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Will a Fulton Armory M1A be more accurate than a nat or super match Springfield in currently production? Probably not. But the Springfield will not even be able to compare to the quality, durability, reliability, fit and finish, etc. of the Fulton.

20. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

cool thanks, one more piece of info to throw into the randomm knowledge jar

21. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

apples to oranges :hsugh:

22. san408

san408 New Member

You have to remember that alot of folks on the internet read something, and then grab ahold of it like it is gospel. They have absolutely no personal experience, but still harp about it just because they read it. The only person on this thread that's mentioned owning a springfield M1A is eWRXshun. He had issues with his it sounds like.

I own a national match M1A. If you are really going to shoot long distances the gun can do it, but the bolt gun is probably your better bet. I've had zero issues with my rifle, and it gets shot every time I go to the range. I may be going to zero a different gun or to play with a different gun, but the M1A always goes.

Definately get a full length or at least a scout length rifle if you plan on target shooting. The Socom is a little short (I personally don't like all that crap hangin on a rifle anyway).

I don't care what gun you're talking about, there are always problems with some of them. Why do you think folks on here make so much fun of glocks blowing up? Accord called the M1A shitty goes to show you what I'm talking about people reading, but not knowing.

23. Accord

Accord New Member

This is not hearsay or crap read on the internet, it is an absolute fact that the newer Springfield M1A's have issues and are no where even remotely close to being as good as real M1's with actual USGI parts.

This is indisputible and has been a well known fact in the M1 community for over a decade ever since Springfield stopped producing M1A's with real USGI parts.

24. san408

san408 New Member

Well, I'm taking your opinion as stuff you've read. Do you have any first hand knowledge? Answer me that question.

I would think you'd compare the M1A more to the M14 than the M1. Whatever man, you're the expert. I think I read that somewhere too. :)

25. Accord

Accord New Member

You don't need first hand experience to know that Ferrari's are great cars, and you don't need first hand experience to know that the new M1A's produced with low quality cast parts are not as good as original's with USGI parts when this has been a well established fact in the M1 community for more than a decade. I don't know how I can break it down any simpler than that.

This isn't like the sporadic reports and hearsay of someone who knew someone who had a friend who had a glock go kaboom or someone who had a friend who's friend's nephew had rust on the slide of his XD... the problems with the non-USGI M1A's in particular the Springfield M1A's are well established facts. The Springfield M1A's produced with the newer low quality parts are simply inferior to their USGI counterparts, it doesn't get any simpler than that and these have been well known facts throughout the entire community for well over a decade.