SRS Remembering the past..advice on life.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by somethingstrang, Jan 9, 2009.

1. somethingstrang

somethingstrang Active Member

So I recently found my childhood neighbor on Facebook. I immediately began to recall the years that we used to hang out - we were really close and were just beginning our days in elementary school. Over time, naturally, we began to grow farther apart and in a few years time, we barely recognized ourselves as close friends. One day she, with a couple of her friends, came up to me asking if I was indeed her next door neighbor as her friends did not believe her. As an extremely shy kid towards girls at the time, all I did was ignore her and her friends. I can't exactly remember, but that was possibly the last time I ever spoke to her before I moved out of town.

I'm always thinking about the past and trying to relive these nostalgic memories. I am aware that we often choose our actions that ultimately change ourselves to be 'different' than our past. In hindsight, the choices we make weren't always the best and are sometimes irreversible. I regret not being in close contact with her during elementary school. Although I will get a chance to meet her again, I realize that our relationship cannot simply rewind to when we first met.

That said, I want to ask the older people here - what advice can you bring to the youth to avoid mistakes that you wish you did not make when you were young? I'm a college student now

2. Zxtole

Zxtole New Member

Ive had similiar happanings, about not doing something in my past that probably would have made me happier. Ive come to a conclusion, life goes on. The best thing that can come from this is never not doing something.

The past will never come back. No matter how much it hurts that it wont. And about not making the same mistakes, well, now that you made a mistake as you see it, would you do it again? Of course not you would probably jump on another opportunity. My advice, accept the fact that its gone and remember all the good times as happiness, not sadness. Be happy you got to experience that at all.

3. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

People do stupid shit when they are young and kids are cruel at that age, get over it and move on. When you meet up with her again just leave the past as the past don't even discuss what happened, why what is the point its not going to change anything just focus on the present.

4. METALLlC BLUE

METALLlC BLUE New Member

Advice from an older individual: Well, one of the most important things I've found, is making amends. Coming forward, apologizing, and redeeming yourself, if they give you the opportunity.

On the other hand, I also have recognized that through my own experience -- and it's just that -- that people from the past belong there in most cases. When I lost contact with people, it was for a reason.

5. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

leave the past alone.

really, there is nothing you can do in youth to avoid mistakes i believe. I mean everything you do is for a reason, be it to learn not to do it again, or somehow mature, or for any other of a thousand reasons. So if you did not do something, then how would you learn? Some people make mistakes once, others multiple times, and wise people just look at others mistakes and learn from them instead of repeating the mistake themselves.

NO REGRETS! Remember that.