remember starcraft?

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by bawlinmo, Apr 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bawlinmo

bawlinmo Neighborhood Graphic Designer

anyone play any rts games that they think could rival starcraft? in my opinion it was the best rts ever.

2. Reign

Reign Banned

Yeah, it's not. But Total Annihilation, which was made by Chris Taylor (who made Supreme Commander), is better than Starcraft.

I still play them both, and should have Supreme Commander soon.

Check out Supreme Commander man... it's awesome.

3. Spike2k

Spike2k New Member

dude. c&c

4. TeKKy

TeKKy Wut OT Supporter

Command and Conquer is no where close to being as epic as starcraft

5. HamTard

HamTard New Member

Starcraft: Broodwar remains the best RTS out there.

Nobody else can balance like Blizzard, the only balanced games out there have identical units on all side except for a few uniques. Every race in Starcraft is completely different with very different prices/build times/stats/abilities, it's a work of art.

Supreme Commander and C&C and stuff just have all the races have identical units with different names, except for a few differences.

6. slimer

slimer New Member

Meh, Warcraft II was better. Especially with the expansion pack.

7. HamTard

HamTard New Member

Warcraft 2 suffered from what most RTS games do, the different races are too similar.

8. Reign

Reign Banned

And by too similar he means they were pretty much identical.

9. slimer

slimer New Member

For the time that they were made, thats the way the RTS worked.

Warcraft II had so many upgrades for the genre, it was a nice addition.

10. Fetish

Fetish OT Supporter

IMO, Warcraft iii is better then Starcraft. However, starcraft in its prime was def > wc3.

11. georgexi

georgexi o.O OT Supporter

warcraft2 was not balanced. the units may be identical statwise but the magic spells definitely were not. bloodlust was severely overpowered.

but yes i do remember the many many many hours wasted playing starcraft back in the day. by far one of my most played games. if blizzard ever decided to release a remake of starcraft with modern 3d graphics, i bet it would sell like crazy

12. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

13. Jinsoba

Jinsoba Left nut crew, holla.

my life for aiur :eek5:

14. Surgie

Surgie Mein Führer, I can walk!

Vanilla starcraft was the best balanced of the blizzard games imo... war2 multiplayer was heavily dominated by bloodlust from the horde (TRIPLING a units damage?! :hsugh: ), and i had problems with too many units and shitty balancing as a result when brood wars came out. I hated war3 multiplayer cause of the rpg / creeping aspect... carebear nonsense.

C&C has always been a bit of a joke... it's fun to dick around in but the multiplayer was never that enthralling I thought and the AI for single player is stuck in 1994.

I wasn't the biggest TA fan either... I know a lot of people like it, but I was always a big fan of actual resource management / handling expansions / etc. over huge ass armies and shit. Same reason I wasn't a fan of maps like BGH in starcraft, completely took away half of the experience :o

Warcraft 2 water maps will forever be my most favorite multiplayer area I think, it was the one setup where humans could somewhat equalize the horde advantage as mages / invisibility were insanely useful here and it made expansion + control a much more important aspect of winning.

15. Waramp4X4

Waramp4X4 k car technician

Warcraft 2 was such a good game for its time. Starcraft was up there too. Warcraft 3 kinda dissapointed me. I cant remember the correct terms they use to describe it, but i enjoyed the Mega aspect of warcraft 2 (playing god with 100s of units) over the somewheat micro aspect of warcraft 3(taking your little chick on horseback and using your hella magic to wipe out an army).

I thought warcraft 3 tried to do a bit of both. It made it too finicky for me. In order to use everything properly you almost needed 2 mouses to use everything to its max potential.
    Also i felt the Night Elves were very weak until later in the game. If you got rushed i was always playing catch up for the rest of the game.
    I didnt like the hero aspect of it. Too much time and money spent on the heros not enough whooping ass. 1 Hero could outpower like 5 normal guys, Then just run away and let his magic recharge, go in and do it again. Got old really fast. If you chase the opponents hero down, hes either to fast or hes got another hero waiting for you half way to his base. Lose your hero and they see that, and so they just walk right into your base. lol

I missed the epic battles, that were like 2 hours in the making, and your practically sweating, finally you lay it on the line and both armies meet right in front of your opponents base with about 75 units each . :bowdown:
    Starcraft was better for this too. First thing i liked about starcraft was the ability to select 12? units at a time over 9. Also the pending training of the units was good to. 1 being built, 4 more on order.

16. Strahley

Strahley New Member

Even though I've been playing Supreme Commander a lot as of late, I'd probably still vote StarCraft as #1

Supreme Commander has great visuals and an awesome control interface. Playing it on dual monitors in higher resolutions is flat out sex. But like others have said, the game has balance mostly due to fact that many units are nearly identical for all factions, minus just a couple unique units (UEF's Broadsword for example), and the X4 units are all different. Air units, in my opinion, are largely underpowered, since anti-air is so strong. Cybran T3 SAMs especially, there's almost no point in even trying to fly anything near them, as they won't even get a shot off. I played against one guy who sent about 50 spy planes and about 6 or so T3 bombers to my base, in attempt to knock out my ACU. I only had like 4 or 5 SAMs in that area, and he still was unable to drop a single bomb. Anyway, the fact that StarCraft was able to make a near perfectly balanced game without having any two units being alike/identical was amazing

My second biggest gripe is that there is no unit personality in Supreme Commander. In StarCraft, all of the units talked (or at least tried to...poor Zerg!). Sure, that's nothing that hasn't been done before, but they seemed to do it better than most other games. Having a portrait of the unit was kinda neat as well. In Supreme Commander, everything just buzzes or beeps at you when you select it. Sure, most everything is robotic, but wouldn't there be UEF/Aeon humans inside most of those robots controlling them? And the Cybrans are all half human anyway, so where's that personality?

Early C&C games are fun to play, but they aren't games you could really take seriously for multiplayer, though the multiplayer was fun. Newer C&C games suck in my opinion, since EA does a terrible job at them. Westwood was far better

If you were to combine StarCraft's unit personality/balance with Supreme Commander's graphics and control interface, you would have the perfect RTS

17. Gai

Gai New Member

Loved Starcraft.

18. illspace

illspace New Member

:rofl: At people thinking any RTS has ever come close to starcraft. TA is a joke as well as C&C. Warcraft 2 was all bloodlust, but the sea units gave a single aspect that starcraft lacked. Warcraft 3 was all micro harrassment with the hero. It was not for an average basebuilding starcraft type of player, but was still a great game.

oh, and :rofl: @ BGH

19. Chaos

Chaos New Member

I love big maps and the mega huge T4 units of Supreme Comander, I loved starcraft since it had a big unit limit. War3 sucked horribly because you could not have a huge army and the heroes were just too equal to each other.

20. Vistrix

Vistrix So Say We All

Theres a rumor on IGN about Starcraft 2 beta :eek3:

http://pc.ign.com/articles/779/779920p1.html

21. OLBERTMAN

OLBERTMAN OT Supporter

Myth / Myth 2

22. AJAX

AJAX OT Supporter

23. bowrofl

bowrofl New Member

You'd think they would do more for SC2 then simply add 1 new race and a new few units per faction

24. Deepsix

Deepsix OT Supporter

dont fix what isnt broken

and they have a story to follow too :hsugh:

25. illspace

illspace New Member

:bowdown:

I made top 200 when i was 13. Then the map hacks and Korean's happened.... :squint:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.