GUN Rem 700 with poll

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by apman0000, Aug 26, 2009.

?

Which caliber, thanks for the suggestions in the other thread

1. .243 win

25.0%
  2. .270 win

22.7%
  3. 30-06

25.0%
  4. 7mm

2.3%
  5. .300 win

25.0%
  1. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

Ok, i've narrowed my search, and with the budget my wife put me on :wtc:
    here are my choices for the rem 700

this will be the last thread i bug you guys with regarding my rifle shopping (for this purchase anyway :))

wants;
    target shooting obviously
    300 yards or so is all i really need
    Deer hunting

and would a 3-9x40 scope be adequate?

thanks again, i fully accept that many here know WAY more than i do with rifles especially so i appreciate the help

2. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

243 if you can hunt with it in your state

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

kansas deer hunting rifle regulation:

Legal rifle for deer - centerfire rifles that are not fully automatic and that fire a bullet larger than .23 inches in diameter, while using only hard-cast solid lead, soft point, hollow point, or other expanding bullets..

Missouri deer hunting regulations;

Methods allowed

• centerfire pistol, revolver or rifle using expanding-type bullets
    • shotgun (including .410) with slugs only
    • air-powered gun, .40 caliber or larger, charged only from an external high compression power source (external hand pump, air tank, or air compressor)
    • a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearm .40 caliber or larger and capable of firing only a single projectile at one discharge; in-lines and scopes are allowed
    • multiple-barreled muzzleloading or cap-and-ball firearms and/or muzzleloading or cap-and-ball handguns, including revolvers, .40 caliber or larger are allowed and may be carried in addition to a muzzleloading or cap-and-ball rifle
    • a longbow, compound bow or recurve bow of any draw weight; hand-held string releasing devices, illuminated sights, scopes and quickpoint sights are allowed
    • crossbow
    Methods prohibited (in use or in possession)

• self-loading firearms with capacity of more than 11 cartridges in magazine and chamber combined
    • ammunition propelling more than one projectile at a single discharge (such as buckshot)
    • full hard metal case projectiles
    • fully automatic firearms
    • any sighting device that casts a beam of light on the game
    • electronic calls or electronically activated calls

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  4. Since you can't use .223 I'd go with the .243. It does so many things so well.

5. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

can't it's smaller than allowed by my state for deer hunting :wtc: it's what i was leaning towards until i saw the .23 requirement

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

243 of course, I mean why fuck around.:hsughno:

7. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

8. TheHunter

TheHunter Unprofessional Lurker

Good point... 7mm Rem Mag or 7mm-08?

But the mag would be definite overkill for 300 yards.

Still say .270 because it does such a nice job of bridging between .243 and the .308. And because I'm f'n stubborn about it.

In all reality it doesn't matter what caliber you use if the shot is within 250 yards. Hit it in the heart and it's going to drop. .243, .270,.308 etc all work just fine at those ranges. .243 has the shorter action, shaves a little time off the reload and shaves a little weight off the weapon. Also great if you like to use a youth length model for brush hunting ( I do if I'm stalking through mesquite).

Now, when I talk about flat trajectories on bullets- here's a common list and it also shows why I choose the 7mm mag and the .270 as my weapons hunting rifles. List also shows why I have a complete disdain for the .223 as a deer round.

http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and-hunting.com/ballistics-table.html

I'm no rifle expert and I'm sure some of the people here can tell you what a difference a grain of powder makes at 500 yards (I have no clue I get my ammo off the shelf) but I have been hunting for a long time and have used most of the rifles that have been mentioned and a lot that haven't.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Dude..... that chart is meaningless. You STILL aren't getting it. It's not about the caliber, the powder weight, the bullet weight, or any of that shit. It's about the BULLET, and all bullets are not created equal.

Anyways, if you can't hunt with a 223, then my vote is 308. Has a better selection, and will be cheaper than the ones you listed.

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

So which is better for deer, XM193 or SS109 :confused: :hsugh:

11. Are the deer wearing body armor?

12. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Neither heat seeking tracer bullets are the best, cooks it and finds it:bowdown:

13. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I would imagine both suck, especially in comparison to an X.

To be fair though, I don't honestly keep up with the surplus stuff that much.

14. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

i still see a good amount of -06 ammo on the shelves so thatd be my choice

15. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

.243 or .270 - I would go for the .270

16. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

I wouldn't hunt deer with a .223 unless i was headshotting does.

17. TheHunter

Yes, yes I do. That chart was very rough- for every caliber listed there are at least 20 very different rounds if not 50 and each of those with different stats. I'm not about to get into partitions and cross sections of rounds- it's a no win conversation for both sides. We can discuss different ammo for different ranges and different game.

The big difference is in the way we hunt. You have to use a round that will basically tear the living shit out of an animal to take it down- I just need one with moderate expansion to destroy the heart of the animal. Any weapon can do that trick at 300 yds.

18. fixed

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You missed the part about "partitions and cross-sections", or whatever that means.

Oh, and the part where the guy obviously doesn't understand a fucking thing about that "chart", otherwise he would have never even posted it.

20. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I know when shooting 3 gun we can get lots of weird defection with 223. Even going through thin branches. In a hunting situation I would think this is even more so the case.

I'm not a hunter but if I am going to hike all over creation and get one shot off maybe then I would want something with plenty of punch

21. TheHunter

Tell me genius.. which round makes you more or less dead when it goes through the heart? I know this may fly right over your head, but shot placement makes most of the points completely moot, no?

Once again, at 300 yards do you think it matters what caliber or round you use if you shoot an animal in the heart? I merely like the .270. I've used the .243 and I continue to use one in limited situations. It's a good caliber, but I go with the .270 85% of the time.

22. TheHunter

Any credibility in hunting situations you may have had endeed with
    Having to punch out the shoulders is a fucking joke of a way to hunt. Learn shot placement and take out the heart and be done with it. My way I don't have to really stress myself out over a paticular bullet- hit the heart and be done.

23. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Actually, I'm bored; let's play.

You said:
    No shit. You appear to not understand how that chart works. Those "rounds", are generally called a "load". Things most people in the know would look for are specific bullet (weight tells precisely dick), velocity (so I guess if I shoot a 7mm mag out of a 14" XP100, the dope will be the same as if I shoot it out of a F-Class rifle?), BC of the bullet, etc.

Probably a good move to punt on that one, as it's obviously your only move. I'm guessing you probably don't wanna discuss bullets & ballistics with me if you can't grasp even the terminology.

FWIW, as I keep screaming (and apparently you don't understand), its ALL ABOUT THE BULLET.

Not even. I stated that a 53TSX out of a 223/223AI kills shit on the spot. You keep talking about this shit about "tearing the living shit out of an animal", yet then go on about the 223 not having enough "knock down power". Fact is, neither are true. Your concept of how terminal ballistics work shows its flawed head again when you can't discern the difference between shooting something something with a copper solid vs a fucking VMAX. Here's a hint: there IS a difference, and the copper solid sure as fuck isn't nuking on impact (nor slightly thereafter).

24. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You will get deflection with ANYTHING if you are trying to shoot through obstruction. It's simply an unknown at that point. Personally, I've yet to see convincing evidence that one caliber is better suited at doing that than any other. I've heard stories from PH's about shanking shots after 400's and such hit twigs in flight. I think at that point, it's just impossible to say.

You've got to be fucking kidding me. Punching the rear of the shoulders nearly GUARANTEES destruction of the heart/lung region, as well as pulling double duty by crunching bone (thereby fucking up mobility). Meat damage is *meh* at fucking best.

Surely you aren't that dumb.

25. TheHunter

Ok, yeah, bored here to. Nope, I never studied up on the expansion of corelockt vs winchester 130 grain noslers. I never had to due to-
    Seriously, if you hit the animal in the heart, does it matter which bullet you use? I'm a practical shooter- I know what works for me hunting as well as at the range. I laughed at the .223 comment because it's an assinine way to hunt.