GUN Reloading

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TwistedMind, Oct 23, 2009.

1. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

Putting all the elitist bullshit aside lee vrs dillon is there any differance other than 400ish dollars and red vrs blue paint?

I have reached the point to where I need to start reloading. I can't ever find ammo anymore and when I do its over priced.

I would like whichever I go with to be capable of .223, .308, 22-250, .45, 9mm, and .40, and .454 cassul

Im not going to buy all the dies at once and i realize the dies are a significant chunk of change in this investment.

So what say ye WMD? I ebayed dillons and they were still 600 plus dollars :wtc:

Lees on the other hand seem to e a quarter of the price. What gives?

Thanks in advance.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Dillon

3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

care to elaborate as to what makes it so much better?

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

There has been like 11ty billon threads on this. Every time I end up typing a novel.

5. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

no sub search for me please

6. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Unless you're talking about the reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeealy advanced setups, there probably isn't enough of a difference to matter. I think alot of the Dillon fanboyism is from people that want to justify the money they spent on it, when in reality, there isn't going to be an appreciable difference for the vast majority of shooters.

Note though: Some of the guys on here (like AB and Yar) are *not* the majority of shooters.

7. BLH

BLH Member

How many rounds are you realistically looking to reload?

8. You can get a 550 for $400. I don't have any experience with the Lee, so I can't say anything about it, but I can tell you that the $400 you spend on the Dillon buy you an extremely well made machine, backed by the best warranty and service you'll ever see.

9. BLH

BLH Member

If you want to seriously get into reloading, just buy the Dillon. I have a Lee and used a few different models, and I'm just going to be buying a Dillon and be done with it.

10. Keesh

Keesh New Member

If you're going to get a progressive, get a 550. Anyone who ends up loading a lot eventually will probably get a Dillon. If you don't plan on reloading a lot, maybe a turrent press or even a single stage for your rifle calibers would be right for you.

11. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

i like my dillion, worst to worst, they hold their value well if you want to resell

12. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

If you're a high volume shooter then you'll want a progressive and you'll probably want the dillon.

If you're like me and can't afford to shoot that much then something a bit slower will probably be fine. Check out the videos of the lee turret on ebay for an idea of the speed you can get with an autoindexing turret. I think its probably enough for most shooters.

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

I may not be the "majority" of shooters, but I do know a lot of "shooters" professional shooters as opposed to "gun collectors" that do a lot of reloading.

I hate elitist, and I hate it that I sometimes have to sound like one to get my point across. But if you are asking "me", I will not steer you in the wrong direction. My beliefs are based on experience, not hearsay online. so take my advise however you like it. Contrary to popular belief I work pretty hard for my money, and I don't want to spend any more of it than I have to. I am from one of the cheapest countries on this planet, I am Filipino. So trust me when I say I only spend coin on things that absolutely have to be spent money on.

So if you want to know what shooting professionals use, and people that shoot a LOT of rounds down range use, a vast majority 90% + use Dillons.

Dillons are mechanically superior to most progressive presses offered in the price range and have proven themselves to be "more" reliable than any other brand and it's backed by a LIFETIME NO BS warranty. They also allow you a much higher production rate than any of the competitive brands. As big as the company Dillon is, and as many users as it has, this warranty would financially BURY any company out there that was pushing BS products.

I really wish they were a lot cheaper so people would not think I would have to "justify" my purchase. In reality, it's cheaper than a Glock, that so many here would not have a problem purchasing.

So if you buy into the whole "glock" movement, here you go:

Dillon:

1. Used by more "professionals" on the field than any other brand. And yes, USPSA did do a poll on this.

2. More reliable than any other brand.

3. Higher production rate. My time is $$$$

I've reloaded on a Lee progressive, and it's no where near the solid and reliable motion as my Dillon progressive. Here's my final endorsment, take it or leave it.

Folks struggle to find the extra 2-3 hundred bucks for a superior reloading press, yet they burn holes in their pockets buying BS accessories for their "collections". Spend more time and energy into shooting these guns and becoming a more proficient shooter.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  14. AB13

AB13 New Member

BTW, I reload on a plain jane Dillon 550. I do not have the spiffy "arm", or strong hold mount, nor even a bullet plate. I have absolutely NO accessories on my elitist Dillon 550. And it sits on a old table, that was hodge podged together and mounted to my ground/wall to make it stable. I reload a lot of ammo on this set up. Ghetto fab elitist crew. Check it out, even my gun cleaning box is hitting 3 wheel motion.

[​IMG]

Imagine all of the cool guns I could lay out on my bed and take pictures of if I didn't spend so much money on my reloading, bullets and range time.

15. 993kgt

993kgt building an airplane whee

my dillion 1050 makes me depressed, caliber changes are expensive/complicated and it makes my 650 and hand presses terrible

however for 308 and precision rounds i use this

[​IMG]

16. I'll second AB's thoughts on the accessories. I have my 550 screwed to my bench. I don't have the tall mount or the roller handle, or the bullet tray. I find that as long as the bench is a comfortable height there's no reason to raise it up on the tall mount. Since it's sitting on the bench, I use a tupperware lid next to the press to hold my bullets. It sits right where the bullet tray would be, and it didn't cost me anything extra.

When you're getting started, focus on what you need, not all the toys you can get.

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Of course it sounds terribly elitist. Are the two camps really just gun collectors and professional shooters? Is it just impossible thats a level of shooting enough that just doesn't need a progressive? A quick google shows people getting 200 rounds an hour out of their turret. an hour every other weekend would feed my habit for the month. Maybe I'm not elite but that seems fine to me.

18. Here's mine as I was setting up my gun room. This works just fine.

[​IMG]

19. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

is there a thread that outlines exactly what someone would need to reload 9mm and 40 s&w?

the dillon press and dies and brass, bullets, powder, primers of course but are there other things needed as well?

i'm a retard that knows nothing about this stuff but it would be nice to reload and pay less per round after the equipment pays off for itself over time :)

when i go to dillons web site i see a million different crazy things on there and i have no idea how much of that stuff you need?

1 great reload faq post in the archive would be awesome, i see a reload thread in the archive but it doesn't answer all questions that a newb would need :)

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Look in the archives.

21. AB13

AB13 New Member

Soy, we live in a world of excess. And we want the best bang for our buck and then some. Why else do we have cars that can driven beyond 100mph in a country where that would be illegal to do in 99% of streets in the US. How many own mountain bikes that will never see a mountain trail. Or own a SUV that will never be driven outside of city limits.

How many of us will "really" dunk our Glocks in buckets of sand, water and flour before we have to shoot it? And how many of us will really be involved in a zombie hunt?

You may not have a real need to make 500 rounds an hour as I do, but it's nice to know it's there if you want. And that it will not fail on you, even if you don't have a big match to shoot the next day.

Time is money, I'd rather be out shooting the ammo or spending time with my family.

When people ask what is the best/good reloader out there, I offer them "my" perspective and allow them to form their own opinion. Just like most people can justify purchasing the "perfect" handgun because it's also used by so many professionals. I won't be kicking in any doors, nor chasing any criminals, but it's nice to know that my glock will pop even if it's been babied and sitting on my night stand.

22. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

23. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

Some day I'll buy a progressive press when components are easier to get. I'd like to crank out pistol rounds at a higher rate than I currently can. I'll probably buy a Dillon 550 so I don't get kicked out of this subforum.

24. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Just having a dillon to begin with is the important part. If you don't want to add all the whiz bangs that's fine. Certain times of the year I'm loading 1000 rounds a day and the roller handle and the various bullet and case trays are easier on my elbow, wrist and hands. I loaded a year without the strong mount and now that I do have strong mounts on all my machines I do feel it makes a difference. If for nothing else than the extra storage room under the press.

25. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

There is a reason that everyone who even shoots a moderate amount will tell you to buy a Dillon......

It's not elitism, it's just the way it is. Reloaders don't usually fall into the Gucci ARFCOM type crowd. If there was better/cheaper, it would be used. If you actually enjoy shooting as opposed to collecting, a Dillon will be THE BEST thing that you will likely buy. It's good enough to give up a "prized" pistol or whatnot over.

My buddy is an excellent machinist, and one of the most mechanically inclined individuals I've ever met. He bought the Lee setup. It didn't run worth a shit, and priming on the press was damn near scary. He eventually had re-designed the majority of the press, custom one-off making up probably the majority of it - shit looks like a billet monstrosity now. He still ended up scrapping it and buying a Dillon.