GUN Reloading questions...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by WooleyBooger, Feb 27, 2009.

1. WooleyBooger

WooleyBooger OT Supporter

Since i've about waited too late to get into it...where is the best/cheapest place to get reloading supplies? Also what is a good press to start out with for someone who has never done it? I don't know the terminology, but i would like to have one that does multiple steps with one rotation kinda thing if that makes sense.

2. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Graf and Sons (www.grafs.com) seems to have decent prices, I personally like them because they will sell Dillon equipment below MSRP to C&R FFL holders. :bigthumb: I've got an order of things coming in tomorrow hopefully (if UPS doesn't screw up) from them so we'll see how it goes.

You'll probably get a lot of people telling you to look at the Dillon presses, though you don't need to buy their dies (over priced really)

3. mrbill

mrbill New Member

midway, natches, brownells...etc for equipment/components
    if you haven't already, pick up a reloading book(one w/more than just load data and read it a time or two) "ABC's of Reloading" is a good one.

also go to the accuratereloading forums(can't remember the actual web address here at work) and poke around. most gun forums have a reloading section too.

if you know someone who reloads, see if they will let you use their stuff to see if you like it(you may not and the stuff isn't exactly cheap), plus they can guide you along and give pointers while you do it. if you don't have that option, i would advise to start w/a single stage press(you're referring to a turret or progressive) for a couple reasons. first, they're generally cheaper and if you don't like reloading, you won't be out as much money. second, when starting out, you need to make sure you're doing everything right and the other press options imo require a bit of experience to make sure they're set up to do their jobs they way they should be.

as for actual equipment, people have their own opinions on the best brand(just like guns in general) but in reality, you really can't go wrong with any of the major brands. if you decide to go the single stage route, i reccomend the Lee Anniversary Kit. it comes with the press and many other odds and ends you'll need for a decent price. it's what i have and it works just fine. you'll also need things like calipers, case trimmer, tumbler...etc. the books will give you a better rundown of what is needed and why than a single post here could.

also, you don't need a lot of space like some will tell you, it's nice, but not necessary. the biggest thing you'll need is a sturdy platform/base for the press. i have a small cabinet on wheels that i use that holds everything i have except the tumbler and it's what i reload on. i bought it at target for like $30 and all i did was put some bracing on the overhang that i mounted my press to to make it have less give. stores everything, fits in a corner/closet when not used, cheap and easily moveable.

for specific questions, here or any of the reloading sections of other forums should be able to answer them for you. don't be afraid to ask. a small amount of time posting/waiting for a reply is a very small price to avoid the sometimes catastrophic results that can happen when making reloading mistakes.
    good luck, have fun and welcome to your new addiction.

4. no7fish

no7fish New Member

You are speaking of a progressive press. There are a ton of options and I think the first step would be to do some reading online and invest in a good set of reloading manuals (which tell you loads, as in what powder/primer/bullets to put together and not blow yourself up). With that and some questions here and there you should be able to get an idea what press suits your needs.

If you are loading rifle rounds you probably don't need a progressive and you might find it easier to learn on a single stage. If you are doing .223 or something then maybe you should but you will have to do your homework before getting too deep into the choices.

Also, the important parts arepowder measure and scale. Those are pretty basic and important regardless of which setup you go with.

5. WooleyBooger

Yeah i didn't think about having all that going on at once...single stage may be a little slower, but probably easier to keep everything in check.

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

You reloading pistols, rifles, both, or what?

7. WooleyBooger

Pistols at this time...9mm, and .40, eventually probably .45.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Then you want a progressive. A single stage sucks for volume loading.

Find some people near you who reload, and buy them beer in exchange for them showing you whats up. Probably the best way to get into it.

I've got an extra set of 40 RCBS dies laying about if you are interested.

9. WooleyBooger

10. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

If your going with a progressivie reloader then get a dillon. Standard recomendation is a dillon 550 or even a 650 if you have the means

www.dillonprecision.com

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

After a lot of research I went with a Dillon RL 550B press. I currently reload 9mm, 10mm, and .45ACP with plans to add .223/5.56 into the mix.

To me, the 650 wasn't worth the extra $ since I wasn't going to be doing enough volume in a sitting to really need a case feeder and since I don't do a whole lot of volume in between caliber changes (Caliber changes on the 550 are SERIOUSLY easy). Plus since it's not auto-indexing it forces me to look and make sure it threw the right powder amount, which is a good habit to form as a newb.

I use Dillon carbide dies in all my calibers cuz it was easier to order everything from one place (big thanks to Brian Enos!) but swapped the Dillon crimp die for a Lee Factory Crimp Die. Much easier to set the crimp with and worth the $16!

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  12. WooleyBooger

I was planning on going with a single stage...I don't think i can justify the price difference in a more expensive progressive. The main decision i'm trying to make at this point is RCBS or Lee.

13. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Split the difference and get the cast lee turrett (they also make a junky aluminium one, get the cast). http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=814175 Run it single stage if you just feel like wasting your time and let it autoindex the rest of the time. Check out videos on youtube to get an idea.

14. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

Info on how to get dillion at below msrp to a CR?

15. PorscheRacer

PorscheRacer You see this? It means not welcome

Good luck finding primers

16. Hibidi-Shibidi

Hibidi-Shibidi New Member

If you are loading any type of quantity in 9mm and .40, you will shoot yourself in the head with the 50th bullet you make on a single stage. Get a progressive.

17. Ebtromba

Ebtromba Active Member

whats the RB? on their site I only see the 550B

18. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Oops, meant to type RL 550B. :o

19. WooleyBooger

That does look interesting...

What else would i need to get something like this going?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=awQI2sGeJh0

What i mean specifically is concerning the powder and primer stages. And is there a kit that includes that press plus what else i need? It looks like i could get one of these turret presses for about the same as he paid for his rcbs single stage.

20. phoenixTX

phoenixTX New Member

21. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Last I looked https://kempfgunshop.com//index.php...facturer_id=0&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=41 was the cheapest place with lee turrett kits. I'd get both upgrades.

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

I have a friend, actually is my cousins neighbor, that may be selling his practically new Lee Turret.

He comes around every once in a while and when my cousin got into reloading he also had to get into reloading. After talking with my brothers and cousin, he also thought he didn't "need" a progressive. He has loot, but is cheap. He is a machinest for Boeing so he thought he knew better.

I'll spare you the details because i don't want to discourage you. But he may be interested in selling it. I'll ask him.

Here's a perspective you have to understand and weigh in. How long do you plan on shooting? If it is just a passing "fad" to you, I could see how it may not be worth it. I will likely shoot until I am physically unable to. I have easily rolled over 100k on my 550B. that extra cash is long forgotten about.

I know many people that have reloaded for 20-30 years. Trust me when I say, the $300 more you spend on a progressive will be long forgotten about. My time is worth more than what i would save on a box of ammo. I go into the garage, hammer out 400 rounds of ammo in an hour, and back to being with my family or goofing off or at the range.

Just some things to consider. Good luck either way!

23. WooleyBooger

If i remember correctly, you also have a dillon...correct?

24. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

My advice is wait. Buy a reloading manual and get to know the process before you buy anything. If you can't find primers or bullets right now you'll be sitting on a few hundred in equipment that's useless. If you're doing your pricing analysis you have to factor in what's actually in stock rather than what things cost 8 months ago.

Reloading via single stage is extremely time consuming and boring as shit to me. If you can't afford a turret press you can't afford to be shooting on a regular basis. It's great to have an extra single stage around, but you will immediately want a turret if you are loading pistol.

You'd be better served by buying a case of ammo, shooting it, and saving the brass for now.

25. WooleyBooger

I have decided that if i am going to purchase a press, the turret would be the one i'd get. It seems to be potentially a good bit faster and more convenient than a single stage. I'm really looking at the Lee classic turret. I would be interested to know if AB's friend is going to sell his.