GUN Reloading question

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, Oct 12, 2009.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

I am beginning the process of doing the research to begin reloading. Will be taking a trip to a more gun friendly state and looking to pick up some gear that i may need.

I am looking to reload 9mm luger to start with. I use speer gold dots for work. What would bring me the closest to that configuration?

I know i need small pistol primers (thinking cci or winchester) . But what type of powder should i be looking for? Will be visiting a cabelas store for the equipment. Unknown as to the type of bullet i will be purchasing. I like to work in parts when purchasing so it does not become overwhelming.

2. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

law enforcement

3. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

As for what kind of powder to use, I suggest you buy a few reloading manuals or there are little books that cover only one caliber. Usually reloading manuals are made by one company, such as Speer, so that manual will only cover Speer bullets. Each bullet will be listed with several different powders with beginning and max loads.

As for getting closet to god dot

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=151
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=154
    http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullet_detail.aspx?id=158

As a civilian, I personally do not carry reloads, not because I don't because I do not trust my loads, but because if I have to use them factory loads are just one less point of possible controversy. Though when the components finish coming back into stock I have been thinking about loading up some clones of my carry for practice.

4. Styk

Styk Active Member

:hsugh::rofl:

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Cabelas is expensive, there are far better places to buy reloading equipment.

I don't reload a lot of pistol, and don't know anything about replicating a speer load. Yar and AB are the guys who are burning out Dillons with 9mm rounds. That would be something I would Google, or look at one of the big reloading sites:

www.reloadersnest.com
    www.accuratereloading.com
    www.benos.com (more geared to competitive shooting, but some good pistol stuff on there)

Find the replicate load you are wanting, then buy the components. You seem to be going back-asswards to your original goal.

Did you read the reloading stuff archived here? You should also check out BEnos, and those reloading sites (SnipersHide has a decent intro as well). Understand what is going on, and pipck up some tips on what you need to be looking for. Or as a better alternative, find someone local to you who reloads (and preferably has for a while), and ask to shadow them one night.

6. I really can't help you with specific 9mm loads. PM AB13, I know he has a lot of experience with 9mm stuff. I reload straight wall pistol on a Dillon 550, but I just make generic plinking ammo, I'm not trying to replicate a specific load. If you have any specific gear questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Most of my real reloading knowledge is in the area of rifle reloading. :hs:

7. sprite

sprite Active Member

Titegroup is the most popular powder with jacketed bullets. Solo 1000 is the hotness right now with moly / lead bullets.

If you're really looking to emulate recoil impulse & POI of your duty load then be ready to drop some bucks testing a variety of bullet & powder combinations.

If you want to get ballpark / close enough then choose an affordable JHP bullet that is the same weight as your duty load and buy a bottle of Titegroup.

I load 9MM for USPSA production so I doubt that load would be of much help to you.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

For non compensated pistol I like Hodgdon tite group for powder. I like my loads fast and snappy but a good starting point is 115gr fmj with 4gr of tite group 1.150 oal (this will be a light target load, very pleasant to shoot about 1075 fps in my G19).

As far as presses go. If you have the means and want to do it right the first time get a dillon 650 or 550

9. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

Just looking for plinking ammo, and not duty ammo, just trying to replicate the physics of my duty ammo. titegroup it is. I do plan on purchasing a 550b. just doing the research for the other items.

titegroup looks to be the answer. what are some good websites to order items from, and has decent stock?

Which package should i purchase from brian enos?

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

:5:53AM: :hs: