GUN Reloading ? on why some rounds do not chamber

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GlobeGuy, Jul 13, 2008.

1. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

From sample of 200 rounds I completed, I would find 3 rounds that would not chamber. What can be causing this?

2. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

The gun/springs/bullets change temperature a lot while you fire and expand/contract, so its not always the exact same system feeding new rounds in. It could have been something wrong with the bullet that was fired before it. Whenever you mass produce parts there is always a % that are faulty. Thats my guess :dunno:

Most of the semi-autos I've fired sometimes won't rechamber correctly. Those have all been WWII-Korean War rifles so that might be the reason, but I assumed that was normal for most things that have explosions go off inside them.

3. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

What round? My first guess would be that your sizing die might be in need of adjustment.

4. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

This is for 9mm, but why would only small percentage of my completed rounds be out of "spec" ?

5. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Anything mass produced will have a percentage of units that are not to spec.

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I'm still a novice reloader so I'm just fooling around til the pros get here ;) I was primarily thinking with regards to rifle brass and the shoulder not being resized enough. With 9mm though I suppose I'd start to take some measurements. OAL, width at several places, maybe see if the bullets are oversized...

7. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Does it take lots of effort to reload? It seems like it does...

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Fired/Virgin Brass?

What kind of brass prep do you do?

9. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Fired brass, some of these are not fired from my gun. Brass prep, clean and lube with one shot.

10. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

Not really, once you make your first 100 it's easy sailing from there.

I grab a fistful of bullets at a time and crank those out. Some people sit for an hour+ and crank ammo out, I don't think I'll enjoy reloading at that pace.

11. AB13

AB13 New Member

I can do 1000 rounds a sitting and my ADD kicks in.

Are you using a Undersized die or LFCD? If your using range brass, you are likely picking up rounds with "glock bulge". I use a LFCD (Lee factory Crimp die) with a half twist to get it to size down and remove the bulge in the brass that is left after shooting it from an unsupported pistol chamber like that if a Glock.

It's a must if you are shooting range brass. I have got a EGW U die now as well.

I wouldn't say reloading is easy. You learn just about all the little idocyncrocies after the first 5-10k rounds. you figure out not only your bullets, your dies, your press, your prep work, components like bullets, primers, and powder, OAL, powder charge. I'm still learning almost every time I'm on the handle. I can reload now and just go off feel from my handle to tell you what's going on in my press when I'm moving.

Don't mean to scare anyone, but as long as you are commited to figuring it out and are detailed, it's not rocket science either.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2008
  12. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Is there such a thing as a press where I just pick the type of round I want to make, pull the handle a few times, and everything gets done for me?

13. AB13

AB13 New Member

Certainly, but you have to pay to play...

Dillon 1050
    K.I.S.S. bullet feeder
    Dillon Brass loader

1500 rounds an hour easily.

14. GlobeGuy

GlobeGuy New Member

I do not have Lee factory crimpe die. So this die properly setup will make this problem go away for me? I need to look into this to see if this will be worth it for me. Thanks AB!

15. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

The K.I.S.S. Bullet Feeder is only $550... That seems cool for being able to do 100 rounds in 2 minutes (testimonial).

Can I make it change calibers and from 9mm to .223 to .357?

16. Hooligan

Hooligan New Member

Nevermind I'm a retard.