GUN Reloading manuals

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Emfuser, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

I did some searching for reloading manuals and found very little useful reference here in WMD and our archives. There's a shit-ton of useful information out there about reloading equipment, but not many good recommendations (you know, a recommendation with some reasoning behind it, vs. someone telling you to buy something without saying why) for the manuals themselves.

What are our reloaders using out there? I'm looking to make this a reference thread, so don't be shy about why you like/don't like a particular manual. We need good recommendations for advanced reloading along with good beginner books as well.

2. sprite

sprite Active Member

I use Speers Reloading Manual and read a borrowed copy of ABCs of Reloading.

That is mostly for the hows and whys... and I'll also refer to them for things like case dimensions and max/min OAL. Really haven't used much in terms of actual load data out of manuals though. Right now I only load 9MM and the loads I've tried either came off Enos forums any/or more experienced local guys.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

The internet is better for finding such information in my opinion, but I still have a couple manuals laying around. I kinda like the Lyman manual myself, though the Hornady isn't a bad read.

What kind of stuff are you wanting to know? Load data? Best practices? Best equipment? I still think the internet is better at finding that info than the manuals. Check out a specific forum if you are wanting to know something in particular, otherwise www.accuratereloading.com and www.reloadersnest.com are fav's of mine. 6mmbr and benchrestcentral are good places for rifle stuff (as is SnipersHide).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009
  4. I agree with phrozen. I don't have a single factory reloading manual. I do have, and love, the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide. It doesn't contain any load data, but it's packed with great information related to reloading for various precision pursuits. For actual load data, I just take the starting loads off the various power manufacturers' websites and work up my own load from there.

5. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I have the lyman book and its pretty decent, lots of loads and some of the rarer calibers.

I'm not sure I'll buy another load book though because of all the data available from powder manufacturers. Although it'll be hard to not pick up an old speer on clearance for $10 or something.

6. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

Nah, not looking for load data, just good references to manuals people have good experiences with, and why they liked them (or had bad experiences with, and disliked).

7. If you're not looking for load data, let me reiterate my recommendation for the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide. If you're interested in any kind of accurate rifle shooting it's easily worth buying.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I have The NRA Handloader's Guide printed in 1969. I check out my father's Lee reloading manual every once in a while. I check the Hodgdon online load tables too.