GUN Reloading issues...I think

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by texchef, Mar 29, 2008.

1. texchef

texchef Guest

OK, so I started reloading a few rounds to check/measure powder charge. First thing I notice is that my digi scale reads only in whole grains. Need to replace it.

Second, after i completed a full rotation of stages I checked OAL and I'm within .002. I also check total grain weight against a factory 115 FMJ Winchester and I am within 2 grains.

Here is where I think i have an issue: My reloads are slightly thinner in the middle than a fresh boolit. That is to say the case head and where the slug is set are slightly thicker, about .02 thicker.

I am also noticing that when the press sets the slug there is a small pressure mark on it.

Do I have bigger problems than I think?

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

It is hard to unserstand because your not using the regular standard terminology.

Often a loaded round will be narrower in the middle of the case. This is not an issue as long as the case is not cracked and it chamber check, or case guages. (drop in in a case guage, or pull the barrel out of your gun and drop the round into in. If it chambers it will most likely be OK.

As far as the mark is this the crimp on the case mouth to hold the bullet (normal), or a dimple on the primer (somewhat normal most likely your priming systems is a little dirty.

3. AB13

AB13 New Member

1. get some pictures, I'm not quite sure I understand what you are saying.

2. make sure your adjustments on your scale are properly calculated. What scale? If it measures in grains, it should read to .0. Did you calibrate it?

3. If you are talking about the bullet "projectile" deforming upon seating the bullet, what kind of bullet are you seating? depending on type, you have to make sure the proper bullet "seat" insert is in your seating die. I know with Dillons, you just revers them to the "flat side", and they aren't a problem.

What load recipe, components are you using? take pictures, it will help.

4. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

Are you saying that you weighed a loaded round against the weight of a factory round?

You will notice an "hourglass" shape to reloaded 9mm rounds like yar1182 said. I believe it is from the case being tapered to begin with and then belling and seating the bullet where the case is at its smallest diameter.

Do you have a scale that measures in tenths of grains at all?

5. texchef

texchef Guest

They do have a slight hourglass shape to them. I ordereda new scale that is good to .1 grains and ordered a case checker from Dillon.

I tested 5 rounds i made in the barrel by dropping them in and 2 slid in fine and the other 3 stopped a little more than half way.

I'm using winchester primers, 115gr fmj, mixed brass and winchester 231 powder.

I guess I'll revisit this once I get the new stuff.

6. Camp OTE

Camp OTE New Member

I'm only a few thousand rounds deep into reloading. The case guage helps me tons. My first few 9mm rounds would not fit into the case guage and they were really hourglass shaped. I was belling out to much at first and not crimping enough.