GUN reloading help v. COAL

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by gchang817, Dec 15, 2009.

1. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

I am reloading for 9mm. 124 grn montana gold cmj, using 4 grn of titegroup. i am currently at 1.12 COAL, would that be acceptable? i have the speer manual, these are the suggested coal with the listed different bullets:

TMJ RN - 1.135"
    UCSP - 1.12"
    GDHP - 1.12"

it fits in the case gauge.

2. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

That's around the short end of what you see for factory ammo so I would say your OK. My boss likes to load 1.120 - 1.125. I load on the longer end 1.150 but I'm making major PF

3. sprite

sprite Active Member

Depends a lot on your chamber/throat but I agree that is on the short end. Load up 10 at 1.13 and 10 at 1.14 and see how they shoot.

I load 147's at 1.14 and they run all day long in my Glock. My friend was running a 124gr RN in his M&P OEM barrel at 1.14 and they were sitting right on the rifling and causing all kinds of goofy shit.

4. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

i upped it to 1.14. I have a problem every 15 rounds or so where the primer will not feed onto the primer cup on the bar, what could be causing this?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

could be the brass has a crimped primer pocket. You see this with military brass. Often the headstamp will have symbols on it. Such as a O with a + though it, triangles, cresants, etc. I'm told these are various nato designations but I'm not sure. All I know is when I see that stuff on a casehead it goes strait into the recycle for cash bucket and is not used for reloads. Look at the cases where the primers do not feed. see if you can see a pattern as in they are all the same manufacture, have symbols on them, etc. If that's the case possibly crimped primer pockets. Sort those out before you reload.

6. gchang817

gchang817 DADDIO!!

I sorted all brass by manufacturer. i have been using speer brass first so its easy to tell the difference. i think it might have been a loose shell plate. i tightened it a little and it seemed to fix the problem. maybe the primers were not deep enough and they were popping out.