GUN Reloading Crew: Trying to replicate 147gr Gold Dot ammo

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZCP M3, Sep 8, 2009.

1. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Reposted from my thread over on THR:

Does anyone here have any experience trying to recreate Speer factory ammunition?

2. I don't know what powder they're using, but many times I've looked into the case of a Speer round after it's been fired and the case looks brand new. It's some magic powder.

3. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Interesting. Possible that it has more to do with the cleaner CCI primer? I'm more interested in finding a powder that has similar muzzle velocity performance and a similar recoil impulse.

4. What primer do they use from CCI? None of my cases ever look as good as a Speer case when I use CCI primers.

5. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

They don't specify on Speer's website. I'm assuming it's the standard #500 or whatever. Do you know the difference between that and the other type that's sold on Midway?

6. I do not.

7. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Ah, the only difference is the APS ones are standard CCI primers loaded in strips to feed into a certain type of reloading press.

Anyway...Does anyone load 147gr 9mm here?

8. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Speer's manual lists the COL at 1.130" for 147gr GoldDots-HP.

Tested out of a 5906 with 4" barrel, the only one faster than factory Gold-Dots in my manual is the max load of Blue Dot - 5.8 = 1001 FPS. This is using Speer cases and CCI 500s.

9. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Are you trying to replicate it for practice using 147gr FMJs? Or are you wanting to load Gold Dots?

10. sprite

sprite Active Member

I load 147gr 9mm... but its my game load with moly bullets so probably not much use to you.

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

I only trust factory ammo for carrying. It would just be nice to load up practice ammo cheaper than $0.30/rd for Speer Lawman. :hs:

12. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

as far as practice ammo for your 147's gold dots I would use an inexpensive 147 molly bullet or whatever you can get and titegroup and just get it to the point that it had the same point of impact. The other fine detail are much less important. It doesn't need to look the same or even feel exactly the same. Most importantly point of impact is the same so that you use your same sight picture and index with your practice ammo and your defensive ammo