GUN Reloading crew: do you clean the primer pocket?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by THT, Nov 14, 2009.

?

Do you clean the primer pocket

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. No

5 vote(s)
    62.5%
  1. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

My FIL has been teaching me to reload on single stage presses and that after sizing/depriming, he sends the brass through the tumbler a second time to clean out the primer pocket. However, I noticed that if you use a progressive press, the primer pocket doesn't get a cleaning so is this step necessary or just a personal preference?

2. Don't worry about it. Especially for pistol/bulk rifle. I do clean it up with my .223AI loads, but I'm really not sure it even makes a difference there.

3. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

I just lost mine do I buy another? That is the question...

4. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

Not sure I understand your question.

IWith range brass I grab the cases so when I make a fist the head stamps and case mouths either face out or in. I look at the top and bottom of my fist full and pluck out anything with a case mouth bent up enough that it will not fit in my resizing die. Those that pass go into the tumbler for the first pass. When they come out they get sprayed with case lube (the dillon lube)

I resize, deprime and trim everything. If the case is shorter the trimmer does not cut (dillon trimmer). All this is done on a tool head dedicated to case prep on a 650.

Next all the brass goes back into the tumbler to have the case lube removed. So I am tumbling to remove lube more than cleaning primer pockets. You need the lube for resizing, stuck cases are a bitch. You don't need the lube for loading. In fact I found that tumbling the cases does not clean primer pockets very well if anything media can get stuck in the primer pockets. Crushed walnut is not as bad as corn cob (who the hell uses corn cob anymore anyway), but you don't want anything in the flash holes.

So after the second tumble I do the same grab by the fistful thing. I am reading head stamps and sorting out anything I think might need to be swagged. Such as lake city brass. I'm checking primer pockets to make sure they are clear, and checking case mouths. If I'm lazy and this is what I call practice ammo, or local match ammo it goes in a bucket to be loaded.

If this is big match ammo which is what I'm trying to load most of my ammo as it goes for further case prep. Using a rcbs case prep center I chamfer and deburr case mouths and clean the primer pockets. The case prep center has all these spinning dodas that you stick the case mouth or primer pocket on and it makes nice brass

It's not a bad idea to have a resizing die on your dedicate loading toolhead for the sole purpose of punching out the flash hole again. I'm not sure if a piece of walnut can survive a small rifle primer but it's not worth having a primer not seat properly or some sort of squib or dud

5. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I would only clean primer pockets if I'm making match ammo for long distance shooting. For plinking or just normal target shooting, why bother?

Heck, I don't even bother picking the pieces of corncob that get stuck in the flashholes, never had a failure to fire.

6. Really? With a rifle? Have you ever thought to chrony the rounds both with and without media in the flash hole? I'd love to know if it does make any difference, or if the primer just blows it out.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

I would think corncob would not survive a primer. I would not want to risk it tough. Secondly who uses corncob anymore anyway. To messy and too much dust.

I can imagine where walnut might be more of a issue in flash holes.

I think for me with the price and avaliability of primers I am doing a little more work on primer pockets just so I can get less smashed or sideways primers. Not that there is that many but when you get one your like, fuck :wtc:. Before when primers were cheap and easy it was not even a thought

8. bobotech

bobotech New Member

Never did a chrono but from what I have read, some guys did chrono and didn't notice a difference. Read that on a couple of big gun boards a couple of years ago.

9. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

no poll option for "Ill clean your primer pocket :naughty:" ???

10. fatmoocow

fatmoocow bored OT Supporter

I do, but if I'm reloading it's going to be match anyway.

11. ZCP M3

ZCP M3 Active Member

Only loading straight-walled pistol ammo at the moment and I don't clean the primer pockets.

12. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member