GUN Reloaders, How do you pick a powder?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by 70Machwon, Feb 27, 2006.

1. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

How is it that you select the powder. Im going to buy my first bottle for the .35 rem (my dies com tommorow hopefully:x:) so its getting close to finally starting reloading. Ive been thinking about getting some Hodgdon H-Varget.

H-Varget powder is the second fastest for 200gr bullets, and it fills the case the most (usable is 2.85cc, it fills it to 2.63cc). So i think for starting out this would be a good choice since i can really see how my loads compare before seating the bullet. For 180gr bullets, it fills it to 2.7cc. and is the second fasted. All these is for the starting loads, not the max loads.

Has anyone used H-Varget powder before.

BTW, when a max load is to be compressed, how much do you compress it (for now, i dont plan on going too close to the max load, but just for reference.).

2. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

I chose Varget for my .243 with 70gr. BT's because in the Nosler manual is was the fastest or second fasted (can't remember) powder used, and the most accurate they used. Plus I read alot of good things about it on other sites, and it supposedly is less temperature sensitive and cleaner than other powders, though I've yet to notice any difference.

And a compressed load just means that the bullet is compressing the powder when you seat it, so the compression depth is just what you seat the bullet to, which is more than likely the SAAMI OAL for the cartridge.

and I don't really follow what you mean by comparing loads before you seat the bullet :confused:

3. 7

7 First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

who the hell measures case capacity in CCs? :confused:

4. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Lee's Modern reloading lists it in CC.

BTW, the nosler book si super informative, but it doenst have loads for .35 rem. which sucks.

5. Goat

Goat That crack is really moreish

Nosler lists their's in percentages, and the reason they don't have .35Rem data is that they don't make a flat nose .35 bullet, but if you had a .35 Whelen it would be a whole other story :o

6. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

they make a round nosed .35 bullet right?.

7. 7

Most books will give the case capacity in grains and then the percentage of the space a specific load uses but keep in mind cases are not all the same and vary from maker to maker (loading manuals will also list the case they used).

If they did it would be a partition and the only RN partition is .30

8. 7

9. 70Machwon

70Machwon New Member

Thanks for the find, That was a good article. I may try those loads later on too.