Reload day:

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by DTR rex, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I am on a cut and every 5th day I reload cals and carbs.

During the cut (at this stage) I am usually at 2,200 cals, 75g fat, 150-175g carbs, and 200-215 protein.

Every 5th day I do a reload which tends to look like 3,000 cals, 75g fat, 300-325g carbs, 250g protein.

Have I been going overboard with the carbs and cals on my refeed day? I was thinking about cutting down my refeed days to 2,700 cals and 250g carbs, but I am a bit unsure.

What do you guys think?

2. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

I'd say yes. At your size 150-175g a day is a lot. Unless you are taking something that requires a high carb level, I'd cut out the "refeed" you are doing. People that need a refeed are usually in double digit carb levels. When I was following the NHE diet, I' be at 30-40g a day then refeed with 200g once or twice a week (usually the night before squat sessions).

With 150-175 I don't think you need it. But thats just my $.02

3. MaineSucks

MaineSucks OT Supporter

If you are seriously trying to get shredded and are craving the fuck out of carbs, pull a Dave Tate (also approved by Pur). Immediately after lifting, go get your carb fix. Even when Tate was ~7% at 250... he'd go to Wendy's immediately after training and get a large fry and frosty when he was craving. Your body naturally directs the carbs to glycogen stores and thats that.

4. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

So a 300g+ refeed day is not necessary when I am normally taking in 150-175?

If so, should I start refeeding once I drop into the 75-100g area?

I kind of relieved to hear this because after over a month of less than 200g's, taking in 350g's today has me feeling like fucking shit.

5. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I just do it for the sake of throwing my metabolism a "curve ball".

I guess I don't "need it" at this point. I feel great on 175g a day, so I guess I will save the refeed for when I get into double-digit carbs.

Today was my refeed day and I knocked back 3 packets instant oats and felt good. I had a chipotle burrito for lunch and was really full, but an hour or two later I felt great (when I am not cutting I feel like shit and bloated after a burrito). However, I came home and loaded up on another 100g+ and now I am feeling like crap.

6. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

I do that as it is. Even though I am on 175g a day on my cut, about 80g of that comes from post workout alone. I have doing the "if you have to eat shitting food, do it after a workout" thing for a while now.

It is really not as much about cravings. I am pretty good at keeping that stuff under control. I was refeeding on carbs and cals for a supposed metabolic benefit.

7. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

Thank for the input thus far guys... Fast responses :bowdown:

8. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

So don't worry so much about the refeed of carbs/cals, just have a once a week "enjoyment" of eating whatever for the sake of sanity?

9. MP18

MP18 New Member

i like this advice, i've been feeling the cravings too

10. MP18

MP18 New Member

berardi says you can maintain your progress with 9/10 meals on point, so a shit meal every once and a while that makes you happy

problem for me is, once i get on such a clean diet, the good shit i used to love to enjoy, like pizza etc, now makes me feel like shit after i eat it, physically that is, not mentally

11. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Everything has been said. 175 g of carbs is a moderate amount which should be enough unless you do a lot of cardio or HIIT. Cycling carb is another thing though, and you could have a high carb day then (refeed). If you felt like shit, it's a good indicator that you went overboard.

12. VinSVT

VinSVT New Member

Did I just actually read useful infomation in F&N? Am I on the right forum? :run:

13. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

I don't think you need a carb refeed day when you're not low carbing to begin with. Glycogen supercompensation only happens when you're glycogen stores are completely drained.

But, your body will generally still benefit from 1 day of slight over feeding to help keep the metabolism elevated.

14. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Carbohydrate loading (or glycogen supercompensation) can happen without any exercise or depleted glycogen store : "In conclusion, these findings showed that combining physical inactivity with a high intake of carbohydrate enables trained athletes to attain maximal muscle glycogen contents within only 24 h." from article 1.

AND one can just use a single bout of exercice ( a couple of min of exercise with a 30 sec all-out sprint) to elicit a glycogen supercompensation effect afterward (from article 2) : "This study shows that a combination of a short-term bout of high-intensity exercise followed by a high-carbohydrate intake enables athletes to attain supranormal muscle glycogen levels within only 24 h."

This is why I begin to understand why nutritionist say it's hard to gain weight with carbs unless you get too much of it for a couple of days in a row. In these articles, there was no low level of glycogen. The amount of carb they ate usually turns around 10 times their weight in kg (or around 4.5g of carb/lb). That's a shitload of carb. I saw a study which showed that glycogen supercompensation can't be repeated a couple of days in a row, so a one-time cheat with almost just carbs is not at all negative if you don't repeat it the day after. High GI food is important though, and protein + carb usually leads to a high GI.

I think the body has adapted (evolutionary speaking) to some sort of carb cyling : grains weren't available really when they were hunter-gatherers, they had access to some fruits, when they found a tree or a bush that had some. So I guess the body got used to the fact that it had carbs from time to time and that he tried to store this energy in glycogen stores and used supercompensation as a mean to store more energy for high intensity/short duration bouts (my guess is that they didn't jog... they were either walking or running the fuck away from something).

(I know that the terms used suck as far as evolution goes but it's not the main point).

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez?Db=PubMed&Cmd=ShowDetailView&TermToSearch=12111292

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/e...med.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_RVAbstractPlus

15. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

And 1 day isn't going to elevate the metabolism. It could elevate leptin levels and make a low-calorie diet easier to sustain for a couple of days though.

16. JeremyD

JeremyD New Member

INteresting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.