SRS religion and relationships

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SweetDaddyO, Jan 24, 2006.

1. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

i just started dating this girl, and she's great. we really hit it off and all that - about the only thing we have any real difference on is religion.

i was born and raised Roman Catholic, and practiced for 18 years - even was an altar boy for 6 or so years. i went to Catholic high school and got all the sacrements up through confirmation. however, when i went to college i began to question my faith, and i haven't been to church in about 5 or 6 years now. i'm figuring things out for myself but i really don't see myself returning to organized religion - i just can't bring myself to honestly believe the things one needs to believe in order to be faithful in a church atmosphere, and right now i'm happy with my own personal spiritual beliefs.

the girl i'm dating is a Christian - protestant i guess - she goes to a "Church of Christ." i can tell it's pretty important for her, although she does seem to be the least "hardcore" person in her family as far as religion goes. still, she invited me to go to church with her next week, which makes me very uncomfortable, and although she said it wasn't that big of a deal if i go or not, i think she might be pretty dissapointed if i don't. i really don't want to though, because i feel like i'd not only be lying to myself, but that i would be in some strange way forsaking my childhood and the intentions of my parents since they raised me Catholic.

i could see this relationship really going somewhere, but this issue does bug me. she mentioned that her sister "really likes me except for the church thing" - i just don't want it to be a big issue in her family or in our relationship. just wondering if anyone else has been in a similar situation.

thanks for reading, i know it was kinda long.

2. Shiva Chaos

Shiva Chaos i see boobies!

don't go if you don't feel comfortable. I do know what you mean about the religion thing though.

And make sure you tell her you're not comfortable, not just us. Maybe you two can talk about it. if marriage ever enters any of your future conversations, it will be a sticking point

3. verveintuition

verveintuition New Member

The church thing is what she likes to do, and you don't. That's her, that's you.
    Be yourself.

If it makes you uncomfortable, tell her so and that you hope she understands. I know that people make compromises in relationships, but she's got to like you for you and vice-versa. :bigthumb:
    Good luck!

4. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

just to clarify, i'm not a practicing Catholic - for all intents and purposes i'm really not a Catholic anymore. i have a lot of issues with the Catholic Church, both social and doctrinal, so it's not a Catholic vs. Protestant sort of thing.

i am, she seems to be, but we haven't had the really deep discussions yet :hs:
    if it was important to her, i would let her raise them under her faith, and wouldn't try to stop it or devalue it in any way. the only thing i'd want to make sure is that they were raised to have an open mind. i was a product of 18 years of religious upbringing, yet i was still able to have an open mind and make my own decisions regarding faith.

i don't see anything that would seriously come between us - i agree with nearly all Christian principles, it's just the doctrine i have problems with

i completely agree. i would just hate to lose someone so great to an issue like that :hs:

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Its perfectly ok , there are different religions in the world because everyone is on a different spiritual level and therefore has different spiritual needs. The best religion is that religion that brings you closest to God. A protestant church is a humbled version of Christianity, and the difference isn't that big, its basically the same without the shiney shiney , you might not like it because its not what you need at this moment, however support her in the fact that she might be needing this to come closer to God and that you support her in that. But for the rest, same bible same Jesus. You also might want to talk to the folks at the christian forums about it www.christianforums.com. (note that its having an update and will be open in a couple of days)