GUN Reliability (P220, P226, P228, P229)

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Big country, Jul 18, 2007.

1. Big country

Big country New Member

More and more I read in the Kimber forums problems with Kimber 1911s jamming. How many jams can one afford in a social encounter?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just don't see too many instances of a Sig P220, P226, P228 or P229 jamming if at all with clean guns and good ammo.

Is it reasonable to assume that one of the Sigs listed above is more reliable than a 1911? I'm talking apples with apples; guns straight from the factory; not a $2,000 action job.

Comments welcome.

2. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

I bought a standard used 226 in .40, and I haven't had a single jam with it. And I've put all sorts of ammo through it, and even cheap crap like CCI Blazer, Fiocchi, S&B, etc. work fine.

3. Dsking85

Dsking85 New Member

no jams with my 229R in 9mm in about 600 rounds. it's run dirty as hell too.

4. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I have 1500+ rounds thru my 226 and have never had an issue with various ammo types. I think it can happen with any gun. Take care of it, keep it clean and lubed and you should be fine.

If I were buying a 1911 not sure if Kimber would be the one I went for though given the current issues being posted about them. That said, I have shot a number of Kimbers and never had problems in the 150 or so rounds I have shot.

5. MTech

MTech New Member

yea but if you saw the test they did in guns and ammo?? one of the major mags a few months back they said 10k or 20k was merely a break in. They cleaned it out and it was shiny and smooth as new.

6. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

In my experience, any gun that you can put several hundred rounds through without failure is a reliable gun. From the factory I have seen Glocks, SIGs, HKs, S&Ws do this. Might've missed some, but to address the question, I've never seen an out of the box 1911 not have some teething problems before getting it 100%.

7. MTech

MTech New Member

so you're saying it was altered?? They went and bought one at random to avoid that instead of having one shipped from the company... :hsugh:

8. MTech

MTech New Member

I can see probs in general but it's a barrel..I can't imagine there being too much inconsistency there. I'm just saying Sig makes a good product.. I dunno what's going on over there now that peopel are having some issues, or is it more peopel are getting online that have been the 1 in a large number to of ran into something.

9. MTech

MTech New Member

I see no mention of specific problems..just problems..and nothing about the barrel which is all I was pointing out because of bringing up longtime use w/ loads of rounds going down the barrel.

10. MTech

MTech New Member

I wasn't saying that it's the only thing..though sig's are metal so you could argue they SHOULD be able to handle more than polymer as far as the rest of the gun goes. .

11. SnakeEater

SnakeEater OT Supporter

i`ve had one FTF with my 226R.caused by an aftermarket mag.3.2K later,not a single prob.that`s with just about every type of .40 ammo.even the bad wolf

12. MTech

MTech New Member

I can see steel but aluminum is actually worse than Poly??

13. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

I've never had any issues with my 1911 except the recent string of FTEs with Remington UMC ammo. Hydra-Shoks and Blazer aluminum and WWB and a bunch of my reloads have always been flawless.

Plus the bonus of 1911s is that you can slowly "upgrade" them. :big grin:

14. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Not really fair to compare a handbuilt $1500+ custom to a factory assembled $700 gun that was only test fired a couple rounds. :o

15. mrburner

mrburner Ron Paul 2008

the p226 .40 cal was my first gun - it is a fucking fantastic gun and the only thing i would reccomend are some night sights

that said - if you're looking to carry, its too big - i thought it was reasonable at first, but after carrying it for a few months i realized that once summer was going to come around and i could stop hiding it under a jacket, i'd definitely be printing like crazy - i now also have a glock 27 that i carry daily - i find that at the range, i have more jams in the glock but still very very few - out of the 5k+ rounds i've shot out of the sig, i've had either 3 or 4 jams - out of the 1k or so rounds out of the glock, i've had about the same

16. MTech

MTech New Member

so you're saying the aluminum is worse and a lot of people take the more reliable one (Stainless) to the range but the aluminum to protect their lives?? doesn't make sense to me :sadwavey:

17. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

No, it's just that over time the nose of the many bullets can slowly wear off the anodization on the feed ramp, and once that's gone they will start to dig out a trough in the softer aluminum and screw up feeding. Also, aluminum guns are lighter than steel so they recoil more but are more comfortable to carry.