reliability and other info on 300zx's

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 02CivicsiR, Oct 5, 2003.

1. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

Can anyone, preferably owners tell me everything they know about 300zx's.
    thanks. :wiggle:

2. sduquette

sduquette Guest

Which ones more specifically, I've owned an '84 and '91, and know quite a bit

3. dennisk

dennisk Guest

My friend just bought a 300zx, a 91 i believe, he loves it so far, but I'm interested in potential problems...

4. 02CivicsiR

02CivicsiR New Member

My questions are about mid 90's, and if you could explain what the different models are, what the turbo one is called. ALso, does the 2+2 just mean that there is a back seat? Tell me about your experience of reliability and the expense of various repairs. Lastly, are they fast? I think theyre great looking cars, but I am wondering why they have become so highly thought of, and why they are so expensive. Thanks.

5. Sprung

Sprung Guest

The turbo ones are call Twin Turbo, or TT.
    The only Z32's w/ turbo is the 2+0 (no back seat)
    2+2 has back seat, no turbo.
    Slick Top has no turbo, or back seat.

Just like any car, if you treat it right there wont be problems, there is nothing specific that fails on the car if thats what you are talking about.

Yes, they can be fast. If you can find the right tuner, my friend ran a 11.7 @ 116mph on stock turbos and not that many mods.

6. Meng's_Supra

Meng's_Supra Guest

z32's are nice looking cars..reliable..and are FAST cars..

7. sduquette

sduquette Guest

I owned a 1991 TT. This car was pretty much stock everything except for brakes and battery being replaced. It only had 56k mile though, and was well maintained for a 11 year old car. one of the few things that one can expect to wear quick would be the electronic struts, mine were getting soft. The vg30 engines are awesome though, I've seen plenty with over 300k miles. On a turbo model, it seems the turbos are only good for about 120k miles. As for power, with intake, exhaust and a boost controller cranked, I dynoed 367whp and 394lb/ft torque, given you wouldn't want to subject your stock turbos to 17psi often, it's pretty good #'s, with those mods, I ran a corrected [email protected] BTW, mine was auto. I really wouldn't get the turbo model unless you have the money and are planning to mod it, the performance bug is expensive to keep in check. The n/a would probably run forever if you maintain it.

8. 00Evan

00Evan Guest

I've got a 1993 slicktop and a 1985 so if you got any questions aim me or somethin.

9. some dude1

some dude1 Guest

are these fast cars,if its a 2+2 u can put a aftermarket turbo on it right? or even just the two seater if its not a turbo can u put a aftermarket on

10. CussCuss

CussCuss New Member

the only 'problems' they have are that the engine bay is a little cramped and has overheating problems occasionally, fires in the wiring have been known to happen.

And parts are expensive here, dunno about there

11. Sprung

Sprung Guest

12. Sprung

Sprung Guest

Are you talking from experience, because I know quite a few ppl with TT's as well as my own, and that has never been an issue. Yes the engine bay is cramped; but over heating and fires in wires.........hell no. It gets hot and humid where I live, if you want to run your car hard in the heat, (which I wouldnt recomend for any car) buy a bigger after market radiator and electric fan, bigger intercoolers would help too.

13. CussCuss

CussCuss New Member

no not personally, but ive seen threads like this about 300's and thats what they say, if it was a huge problem noone would buy them. Sorry i have no idea how big or small it is, but its better to be aware of this and look into it a little than me saying nothing, threre should be a 300zx forum google it, and ask them.

14. Count Nigula

Count Nigula º¿º DJ º¿º

I have the Greddy TD05 turbo kit on my 93 TTZ :)